CSS Layout with no inline styling

Hello everyone,

Reading this post:
Vaadin Alpha 2
it mentions that there are three levels of doing layouts. One of them is: “to just let the browser take care of everything, instructed by static CSS and essentially no inline styling at all.”

But I can’t seem to find information about how to use this layout type. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Chris.

I believe the post means that you can build your own layout components in three ways, and not that there are three different ways of using built-in layouts in Vaadin.

So in order to “use” that type of a layout, there’s only one layout in the core for that, which is CssLayout. It doesn’t perform any calculations or add any inline CSS to the components it contains. You can position the elements freely with CSS.

Thanks Jouni, that’s what I’ve been doing. It looks like it’s the best way to go to make a designer-friendly page.

Now… If only it were easier to override the myriad of built-in class selectors… :slight_smile:

The new vertical and horizontal layouts that are coming to the first beta release (due end of september) will also be a lot more designer friendly, so CssLayout shouldn’t be the only option anymore.

Care to elaborate? I wish to know if there’s anything we could do to improve the situation.

The new beta1 layouts are a great improvement, thank you for your influence Jouni. Much appreciated. :slight_smile: