Vaadin 8 compile Widgetset with charts add-on

Hello! I’ve been on this for a few weeks already now, and I just cannot figure it out.

First, what I started from. We have a pretty big java project, with many modules in it, from frameworks over webservices to a web app where we use vaadin. We have Vaadin 7 previously, all was good, but it was time to update to 8, which was my job.
I followed the migration guide, which went relatively well, except for the widgetset compilation. I just couldnt get it to work, so I decided to drop the charts temporarily and fall back to the default widgetset (or rather the compatibility one Vaadin7WidgetSet) to test if our web app still works with vaadin 8.
After some modifications and some import cleaning it did, so the first big step was done. Now for the charts.
I got a charts 4 license, adapted the classes and got this where the charts should be:

Widgetset 'com.vaadin.v7.Vaadin7WidgetSet' does not contain an implementation for com.mycompany.webapp.charts.WorkLoadChart

This class extends Chart from the Vaadin charts addon, and I read that I apparently need create a custom widgetset with both the Vaadin7WidgetSet and the vaadin charts widgetset. This, however, is what I cannot get to work.

When I run mvn vaadin:compile directly from the console, it passes, but doesnt actually seem to compile anything. Its super fast and simply says

[WARNING]
 GWT plugin is configured to detect modules, but none were found.

on every module.

However, I have a profile set up in the pom:

<profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>generate-additional-sources</id>
            <activation>
                <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>
            </activation>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <groupId>com.vaadin</groupId>
                        <artifactId>vaadin-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                        <configuration>
                            <extraJvmArgs>-Xmx512M -Xss1024k</extraJvmArgs>
                            <webappDirectory>${basedir}/target/classes/VAADIN/widgetsets</webappDirectory>
                            <noServer>true</noServer>
                            <draftCompile>false</draftCompile>
                            <style>OBF</style>
                            <compileReport>false</compileReport>
                        </configuration>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>update-theme</goal>
                                    <goal>update-widgetset</goal>
                                    <goal>compile</goal>
                                    <goal>compile-theme</goal>
                                </goals>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>

When I run this, it does try to compile, but fails on the war with this message:

[INFO]
 Using com.vaadin:vaadin-client-compiler version 8.4.1
[INFO]
 Compiling module AppWidgetset
[INFO]
 [ERROR]
 An internal compiler exception occurred
[INFO]
 com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.InternalCompilerException: Error constructing Java AST
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.translateException(GwtAstBuilder.java:3997)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.getInternalCompilerException(GwtAstBuilder.java:4404)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.createMembers(GwtAstBuilder.java:4096)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.processImpl(GwtAstBuilder.java:3929)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.process(GwtAstBuilder.java:3971)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.CompilationStateBuilder$CompileMoreLater$UnitProcessorImpl.process(CompilationStateBuilder.java:129)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.JdtCompiler$CompilerImpl.process(JdtCompiler.java:336)
[INFO]
 	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:470)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.JdtCompiler.doCompile(JdtCompiler.java:1040)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.CompilationStateBuilder$CompileMoreLater.compile(CompilationStateBuilder.java:325)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.CompilationStateBuilder.doBuildFrom(CompilationStateBuilder.java:548)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.CompilationStateBuilder.buildFrom(CompilationStateBuilder.java:479)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.javac.CompilationStateBuilder.buildFrom(CompilationStateBuilder.java:465)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.ModuleDef.getCompilationState(ModuleDef.java:423)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:222)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:202)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:143)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:204)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:155)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:144)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler$1.run(Compiler.java:118)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:55)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:50)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.main(Compiler.java:125)
[INFO]
 Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.MethodBinding.isDefaultMethod()Z
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.createMethod(GwtAstBuilder.java:4191)
[INFO]
 	at com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.impl.GwtAstBuilder.createMembers(GwtAstBuilder.java:4086)
[INFO]
 	... 21 more
[INFO]
    [ERROR]
 at DomOptGroupBuilder.java(24): public class DomOptGroupBuilder extends DomElementBuilderBase<OptGroupBuilder, OptGroupElement> implements OptGroupBuilder
[INFO]
       org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration

After reading every page in the vaadin docs concerning widgetsets several times, and reading every forum post about it, I still cannot fix this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Jerry

So nobody can help me? I can’t be the only one with this error…