Vaadin 10 (Flow) (Framework) Download JAR?

Looking all over, cannot find a download zip that has all the JARS?
For Vaadin 10…
(not Maven)
Thanks.

I do not think there is one. You can probably create one using something similar to https://github.com/vaadin/framework/tree/master/all if you need one

Thats a bummer. And a big blocker.

Out of curiosity, why do you want the extra work of handling the jars manually?

A lot of reasons. With Maven and Vaadin 7 …

• Maven took forever to download.
  • Downloaded and put into project all kinds of things not necessary.
  • Took up to 3-4 minutes to compile. Manual JARS? Compiled in 10 seconds.
  • Forever to compile Vaadin application.
  • Maven took too much time spent tinkering with Maven and not programming.
  • Handling Jars on my own, I knew I had the right JARS on the drive, knew how to compile fast and hot deploy.
  • Bloated, huge deployment compared to manual picking of required JARS.

My Vaadin app has been in production for over 2 years and is a critical app. Can’t take the chance of being lazy, not understanding the JARS, having Maven screw something up and then cannot compile my Vaadin app.

App still in production on Vaadin 7.x
Separating out all the containers, all that, moving to REST.
Then plan to update Vaadin UI to accept JSON via REST.

Either that, or we rewrite in pure HTML,CSS,JS and REST on the server. I prefer not to do this, as there is a LOT of business logic involved.

Gunnar, you wrote that “…plan to update Vaadin UI to accept JSON via REST.” What are you trying to accomplish with that? What are the reasons why you’d do that?

My employer does not like Java. The only Java app is this one Vaadin app. If it is too difficult to migrate from 7.x to 10, then I have to abandon. The REST is being written in C# by me.

Hey Gunnar,

what about using Maven to get all the needed dependencies? Just use the Create a new Vaadin app: configure views and theme starter, clean your local Maven repo and run mvn compile. This will resolve and download everything needed.

Cheers

I still think this is nonsense (it’s like using a plain text editor instead of a Java IDE just because), but like Paul said:

1. Download the [base starter]
    (https://vaadin.com/start/v10-project-base).
  2. Clean your local Maven repo: rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/*.
  3. Build your project (BTW, it takes time only the first time you do it): mvn package.
  4. Get all the JARs from target/your-project/WEB-INF/lib/.

“Enjoy” :wink:

Why should you clean the local Maben repo? That will just make the build(or collecting the required jar files in this case) slower.

True, 2 is not required. I initially thought of getting the jars from the local repo, but realized it’s easier to get them from the target directory instead.

Gunnar Swan:
My employer does not like Java. The only Java app is this one Vaadin app. If it is too difficult to migrate from 7.x to 10, then I have to abandon. The REST is being written in C# by me.

old 7 and new 10 are two another world, migrating doesnt make sense, learn it cause after days or weeks you can write complete new app with new techs fast

Alejandro Duarte:
I still think this is nonsense (it’s like using a plain text editor instead of a Java IDE just because), but like Paul said:

1. Download the [base starter]
    (https://vaadin.com/start/v10-project-base).
  2. Clean your local Maven repo: rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/*.
  3. Build your project (BTW, it takes time only the first time you do it): mvn package.
  4. Get all the JARs from target/your-project/WEB-INF/lib/.

“Enjoy” :wink:

The only nonsense here is this elitist attitude.
I find myself in a similar situation. I’m working with a large code base build using ANT scripts. I’ve been tasked to do some R&D and prototyping to see the feasibility of migrating from vaadin 6 to 10. A traditional distribution package with all available jars would have made things easier.
In my case I just don’t have a realistic option of using maven for my dependency management. The current ANT scripts are handling close to 12000 class files and over 100 third party dependencies. The decision to migrate to a newer build tool needs to be made company wide and not something I can decide by myself (I have been pushing for gradle for years). So next time some of you feel like looking down on the rest of us who are not doing things “the right way”, consider how narrow and naive your point of view is.

To Alex Rosu…

Seems you and I are in the same position. We have to follow corporate policy and not the newest trend. This is a mission critical app that must be reliable and fast.

Someone suggested a ‘rewrite’. My boss will NEVER approve this and I agree with him.

There are two blockers for us moving from Vaadin 7 to Vaadin 10.

(1) No more Containers, Items, Properties.
We will not use the compatibility pack. We are taking the model and the controllers in the Vaadin project and moving this to REST.

(2) No more downloadable Vaadin, now Maven only.
I had no choice. I broke down and learned Maven. On the side, I built a Maven/Vaadin project as they show. Then build a good old ‘servlet’ project. I took the jars from this Vaadin/Maven project and put them in the classpath of the new ‘servlet’ project. It worked. So now I have a path to getting our mission critical app onto Vaadin 10.

It will take several more months to get everything resolved - I can only work part-time on this. And I still have execute sprints on the Vaadin 7 app. But at least I have a path to getting this project onto Vaadin 10 - and not have to completely re-write.

Please provide to as an archive with jars. Please.

If someone could please confirm if there is any intention to provide an all-in-one archive, similar to that provided for VAADIN 8? Even if there is no intention to provide such an archive that is useful to know and will influence UI framework selection.

Kind regards,
Martin.

all components, themes etc. has own flow jar, its not possible make one archive, or in maven use vaadin BOM to download all jars, thats how I understand it