Installing Designer on Ubuntu and Eclipse Oxygen 3a EE error Failed to star

Hello,

I have tried several times to install Vaadin Designer using the instructions from the Vaadin website (add new software - https://vaadin.com/eclipse). It installs okay but when Eclipse is restarted I get an error saying:

An internal error occurred during: “Initializing BrowserCore for Vaadin Designer”. Failed to start IPC process.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10, and tried on Eclipse Neon, Oxygen, EE and non EE. It happens every time I start Eclipse. When I press OK on the error dialog then the message just goes away and I can use Eclipse.

Any clues as to what the problem is?

Thanks, Mark.

Hello Mark!

The issue might be due to a missing libgconf that is required by Chromium. Could you try installing it with

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4

Are there any exception logs you could post here?

Hi Matti,

I did check that and already had libgconf installed. However, I seem to have got past this problem now and frankly I don’t know what I was doing wrong, or what I did differently.

Thanks anyway, Mark.

Hi Matti,

Just for information. I had the problem again, this time on Ubuntu 17.10. I tried lots of things such as upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04, un-installing Chromium, reinstalling the non-snap versionof Chromium, installing Chrome, changing the default browser in Eclipse to Firefox. None of them worked. I then remembered your comment above and installed libgconf and that did fix it. I think on other occasions I might have been using older versions of Eclipse and/or non-EE versions.

Thanks again for your help, Mark.

P.S. Here is a snippet from my Eclipse log if it helps anyone else:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2018-06-07 11:26:59.724
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Initializing BrowserCore for Vaadin Designer".
!STACK 0
com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.IPCException: Failed to start IPC process.
	at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.d.run(SourceFile:203)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Missing dependendecies have been detected. Check the log for details.
	at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.ExternalChromiumProcessLinux.preProcessRun(SourceFile:3162)
	at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.ExternalChromiumProcess.doStart(SourceFile:62)
	at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.ChromiumProcess.start(SourceFile:202)
	at com.teamdev.jxbrowser.chromium.internal.ipc.d.run(SourceFile:196)
	... 1 more

!ENTRY com.vaadin.designer2 1 0 2018-06-07 11:27:00.169
!MESSAGE HTTP Response code :200

Hi,

We have the same issue on ubuntu 18.04. and do not helped at all the recomended libgconf-2-4 installation.

Could you please update if you find any solution?

Thanks, Richard
17185208.log (334 KB)

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay - been away on holiday.

Do you by any chance happen to have more than one instance of Eclipse installed in your home directory? If so, do you swap between them?

Mark.

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4

This worked for me. (Ubuntu 18 with Eclipse Photon)