Vaadin 10 or vaadin 8?

I am new to Vaadin and would like to create my own application using Vaadin, which version of vaadin is recommend to use? If I use the Vaadin 8, will it easy for me to migrate?

If you are completely new to Vaadin, I would recommend starting with Vaadin 10. That way, you won’t need to worry about migrating and you’ll get the benefits of the latest web components easily.

-Olli

Thanks Olli.

What about if you’ve spent the past 6 months developing with Vaadin 8, and am quite comfortable with it? I plan to release my web app this summer. Should I postpone and migrate to Vaadin 10, or continue to use Vaadin 8 since it’ll remain supported for years to come (?).

I use ~5 add-ons which are only supported in Vaadin 8 so this means I wouldn’t have these features in V10, correct? They provide a lot of value so I’m hesitant to migrate at all. Please share your feedback Olli.

Thanks

If you’re planning to release during the summer, stick with 8. It’s still going to be maintained for years to come, so you don’t have anything to worry about in that respect. Eight is great, as they say.

-Olli

@Mic
I would stick with V8. We have a couple of apps in V8 and now I try write one new in V10. It is not “V8 on steroids”. Some important things are missing that I have for granted in V8 : ComboBox DataSource, Spring Boot JAR packing, Layout works different, etc.

It (V10) is not “V8 on steroids”.

I think this is well said. It is not as beefy as V8 yet, there less components, less legacy. This is both good and bad thing. The good thing is that all components are new, designed from the scratch, designed in mobile, accessibility in mind. The component set is modern and coherent. In V8 we have mixed component set, the oldest ones inherited as far from V6, with some rewrite. Because of this components in V8 are less consistent than in V10, but probably have gained more features due continuous development.

Thank you all, I’ll stick with V8 for the foreseeable future.