Vaadin Gradle Plugin adds extra items to the IDEA MODULE_main classpath for

I am working on a gradle project that I import into IDEA as a module. When the module is imported IDEA adds a bunch of stuff to the classpath that I don’t want, most importantly an older version of Jetty (9.2.14) than the one I need (9.4.7) and causes a runtime exception since it is not compatible with the version I compile against. It took me a while to figure out these extra items were being injected by the vaadin gradle plugin. If I remove the plugin and import the build.gradle file the new IDEA module contains only the dependencies I have defined. This seems to be driven by the plugin adding classpath items to the main.java source set which is what IDEA uses on import.

Looking at the documentation it looks like the way to fix this is to manage the dependencies myself, so I added ‘vaadin.manageDepenedencies = false’ but now when I compile I see the following error from gradle.

Could not determine the dependencies of task ':vaadinCompile'.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':vaadin-client'.
  > java.lang.NullPointerException (no error message)

It appears to me that when manageDependencies=false there is some code in the plugin that is still refering to the internally created configuration ‘vaadin-compile’ that prevents me from managing the dependencies myself.

My gradle build file is shown below and I am using Java 8, vaadin plugin 1.3.0, and vaadin-server 8.2.0.

plugins {
    id 'com.devsoap.plugin.vaadin' version '1.3.0'
}
apply plugin: 'java'
apply plugin: 'war'

repositories {
    mavenLocal()
    mavenCentral()
}

dependencies {
    implementation 'org.eclipse.jetty.aggregate:jetty-all:9.4.7.v20170914'
    implementation "com.vaadin:vaadin-server:8.2.0"
    implementation "com.vaadin:vaadin-push:8.2.0"
    implementation "com.vaadin:vaadin-themes:8.2.0"
    implementation "com.vaadin:vaadin-client-compiled:8.2.0"
}

vaadin {
    logToConsole = true

version = "8.2.0"

push = true

manageDependencies = false;
    manageRepositories = false;

vaadinCompile {
        manageWidgetset = false
        widgetset = 'com.example.MyWidgetset'
        outputDirectory = 'build/widgetset'

logLevel = 'INFO'
        style = 'OBF'
        strict = true
    }
}

Is there something I am missing that I need to be able to manage the dependencies myself?

Is there a work around I can use to only include my dependencies in the IDEA module by messing with configurations or source sets in gradle somehow?

This problem only seems to impact import into IDEA, the WAR generated does not include the extra dependencies from the vaadin gradle plugin.