How to upgrade Vaadin addons to Vaadin 10/Flow

Hello,

my questions targets only
Javascript wrapper addon
because for GWT based add-ons it makes sense that these will not work anymore as Vaadin 10 is removing GWT support.

I wanted to ask before I try to upgrade to or run my addons under Vaadin 10 because I didn’t find any information in the docs.

If I missed it could you please point me there.

BR,
Michael

Hi Michael. Unfortunately we don’t yet have instructions or tutorials on how to migrate add-ons, but are looking at adding instructions during the Q1 for 2018.

For a Javascript wrapper addon’s, or any other add-ons with client side, I can currently give you couple options and choosing between those depends on what client side features your add-on has and what is the use case. (I admit I didn’t take a look at your add-on sources)

1. Build the add-on as Flow Server side only accessing the Browser (DOM, executing JS, events…) from server side using
    the Element API in Flow
    (in case link doesn’t work vaadin.com/docs → pick V10 → Flow → Element API). Any client side resources can be injected using the dependency annotations. This is already possible.
  2. Build the client side part as a Polymer Web Component and give it a Flow server side Java API by
    a) building it by hand (similarly as in 1)
    b) using the to-be-released Component Java API Generator, which will generate the Java code for the basic support (attributes, properties, methods and events). But this doesn’t work with more complex API, that has to be integrated by hand.

We will release a Component Starter in vaadin.com/start which will serve as a template project for creating component add-ons for Flow. This is planned for January 2018. Unfortunately, the vaadin.com/directory doesn’t yet support V10 (Flow) add-ons, but that support is also coming.

Hi Pekka,

thanks for taking the time to explain the current possibilities.

Based on your information I guess it’s save to wait at least for the release of V10 to consider upgrading my addons.

BR

Leif has also done a limited prototype code that potentially allows using existing Vaadin components (GWT) with Flow. Please check out https://github.com/Legioth/connector-element and let us know how useful it could be for you, what is missing etc.

Thanks,

Juha