RE: Findings and issues on the new vaadin.com

Hi, Michael,

Thanks for taking the time for this! It’s highly valuable for the community. I myself have already fixed a couple of issues with Directory (to be deployed later), and the vaadin.com team is steadily working on fixing all the issues. Thanks again!

I create this entry to have a better way in reporting findings for the new vaadin.com than the comments of the
blog entry

Browser: Chrome 60.0.3112.113

Forum:

• While creating this entry the visual editor switched fonts and font-size uncontrolable. see forum_editor_fonts.png. I switched to source code editing.

Addon Directory:

• When access a addon page by the old deeplink (vaadin.com/directory#!addon/chartjs-add-on) the first hightlight image is not immediatly shown. see first_highlight_img_notshown.png (Chrome 60.0.3112.113 )
  • The individual star ratings are gone. see addon_feedback_noratings.png
  • The icon for edge support is not shown. see edge_icon_notshown.png
  • The
    last updated list
    shows multiple entries of the same addon. My guess every single change counts but I was not able to reproduce it. see lastupdate_list_multipleequalentries.png
  • Replies to feedback (ratings) by the author are shown and counted as they root level

Performance:

• I tested the new website on a old device (lubuntu) with a current firefox and the webcomponent.js was extreamly slow on that device.

I was not able to create a entry with attachements so they’re here. Browser didnt respond on submit.
36201.png
36202.png
36203.png
36204.png
36205.png

• Browser: Edge → Navigate to: Directory or to Events - (Font-)Icons are not being scaled down.

• Vaadin Upload not working
    on Windows (Edge, FF and Chrome tested), and some more in depth details
  • As Michael pointed already out when editing Posts in the Forum it is not possible to attach additional Attachements

36301.png

Another example where edge does not scale down
36302.png

If you access https://vaadin.com/docs and choose Vaadin 7 from the combobox nothing happens; to get access to version 7 docs one should first access a v8 page (ie https://vaadin.com/docs/framework/v8/tutorial.html) and the use the comobox to change version

I could not find a way to change my E-Mail address of my account. Is that currently not possible?

I have the same issue with the email address. Actually in my case, it looks like my account reverted to an email address I had 2 years ago and I cannot change it.

I added a ticket for this issue. Thank you for the report. Mikko / Vaadin.com

Thanks Johannes, all these scaling problems are due to the same issue and you can see it when page is reloaded, except on Frontpage where the issue is not visible. It seems the styles for SVGs are broken for Edge, IE and older mobile Safari. We are working on a fix.

Mikko / Vaadin.com

Johannes, Michael thank you. I have added additional information to the already reported “Addon upload not working” issue.

Mikko / Vaadin.com

Thank you Michael. I have created an issue for this as well.

Mikko / Vaadin.com

Michael, huge thank you! I have files issues for each of the new findings. Some we have already.

Mikko / Vaadin.com

This is known. Thanks.

In the forum it’d be good to be able to have a tooltip display the absolute date/time when hovering over the absolute timestamp text.

I’ve also found that the timestamps for each post don’t always load - have added an attachment
36303.png

Add-on Directory

• If an author has more than one addon: I open the first addon and want to go to the next by using the link on the first addon’s page. The page doesn’t scroll to the top. It is just replaced on vertical position I currently am. see goto_otheraddon_scrollposition.png

Mobile
(tested on a IPhone SE ios10)

• The loading indicator is shown in the second line under the menu icon when I use the site on a smaller screen size.
  • If I go to the docs and click on the menu icon (docs_menu.png) the footer element “jumps” in the middle of the screen. This does not happen during simulating a IPhone 5 with Chrome. see docs_mobile_footer.png

36304.png
36305.png
36306.png

Forum

While writing the last few posts the forum feels not really trustworthy. e.g. I had to try twice posting the last reply with attachments.

Please don’t get me wrong but have you ever considered using another forum software?

• I personally like
    Github
    issues for its easy way creating tasks. I’m very well aware that Github issues should
    not replace a forum
    and really understand why only bugs and feature requests should be reported there.
  • Another example is
    Discourse
    I used it in another other open source project it feels great.

Thank you everyone, I have scanned all the reports up to this point. This is amazing support from the community!

Mikko / Vaadin.com

Congratulations on the new and sparkly vaadin.com. Like the feel of it.
However I noticed some unexpected behaviour in the profile.

• The “Share & settings” and the “Share my accomplishment” links result in a 404 error page. (share_404.png and share_404_2.png)

• The “Download as PDF” option from download_as_pdf.png does not work

• Download as pdf from the certification tab opens the pdf as shown in pdf.png. I don’t know if this is expected behaviour.

[size=3]
I’ll let you know if I encounter something else.

Regards,
Thomas
[/size]
36307.png
36308.png
36309.png
36310.png

In the edit account, the “job role” and “country” field are empty despite having been filled in previously. Possibly related to the Jerome Meyer’s email problem.