Running non-UI event without active client

Hi all,

Is it possible to run a “background” task during a Vaadin application without having an active client?

I have been trying to implement a background timer task to do email handling but it is only working while the client is active (from entering the URL in the browser). I am looking to make it work while the application is loaded without an active client from a browser.

Yes, but it has nothing to do with Vaadin. You can just create a Thread to run your background tasks. For this purpose, I’d suggest starting the Thread in a ServletContextListener.contextInitialized() method, and you can then stop it in the corresponding contextDestroyed() method.

See javax.servlet.ServletContextListener for details. Older servlet containers need a web.xml to define this, but with the latest (like in Tomcat 7) you can just annotate your class with @Weblistener.

Here’s the basic look:

@WebListener
public class ContextListener
    implements ServletContextListener 
{
    private YourRunnableClass backgrounder;

public ContextListener()
	{
	}

public void finalize()
    {
    }

public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce)
	{
            backgrounder = new YourRunnableClass();

Thread thread = new Thread(backgrounder);
            thread.setDaemon(true);
            thread.setPriority(Thread.currentThread().getPriority()-1);
            thread.start();
    }

public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent sce)
	{
		if ( backgrounder != null )
		{
            backgrounder.stop(); //generally sets a flag in your class that causes it to stop looping
            synchronized(backgrounder)
            {
                backgrounder.notifyAll(); // notify it now so it can detect the stop flag set and end itself
                backgrounder= null;
            }
		}
	}

}

Thanks for the ServletContextListener tip! I had forgot about that!