Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Migrating to 8: missing classes in compatibility packages?

Normand Fortier
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 4:16pm

I've just started migrating a sizeable app from v7 to v8. I'm using the compatibility packages. The compiler complains about not finding vaadin classes, this is normal, but if I change my imports, for instance
com.vaadin.ui.[class] to com.vaadin.v7.ui.[class]
it does not always find them. Example: it does find Label (and netbeans reports it as deprecated), but does not find Component, AbstractLayout, Button... I checked and indeed vaadin-compatibility-server-8.0.2.jar does contain Label but not Component, etc.
I must be doing something stupid, could someone help?

John Ahlroos
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 5:59pm
Normand Fortier
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 6:10pm
David Wall
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 6:36pm

John Ahlroos: You need both the normal jars (vaadin-server, vaadin-client,...)  and the compatibility jars (vaadin-compatibility-server, vaadin-compatibility-client,...).

It won't work with just the compatibility jars.

That is useful to know.  When I read things, it was my impression that the compatibility libraries were the old and new together.  

David Wall
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 6:39pm

Normand Fortier: Yes, that does it. Thanks!

Are you using Maven or Ivy?  We did upgrade to Ivy for V7, but we couldn't even figure out how to create a new V8 project, or what exacty we need to change in the IVY and widgetset.xml files to get a working new version (after the packge includes are updated to reference v7 as needed).  I find the migration doc confusing as it led me to believe that I either pick compantibility classes or regular, not both.

A clear example of the changes a typical, large, non-Maven Eclipse user must do would be awesome to help.  Without it, we've just punted for our project and will stick with V7 as it works and won't cost us untold hours/dollars/frustration.

Normand Fortier
5 years ago Mar 15, 2017 9:28pm