Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Webinar: What's new in Vaadin 8?

Artem Godin
5 years ago Mar 03, 2017 10:01pm

What's new in Vaadin Framework 8 and how do you get the most out of it? Join the project's lead developer Pekka Hyvönen and Developer Advocate Matti Tahvonen in a discussion and presentation about Vaadin 8. Ask any questions beforehand or during the webinar and we'll answer them. Sign up to ensure your spot!

Webinar takes place on Tuesday March 7, 2017 @ 2PM CET

See https://vaadin.com/webinars for other past and upcoming webinars.

You can post your questions below, thank you!

Adrien Houdart
5 years ago Mar 06, 2017 4:32pm

Hello,

I'm trying the new HTML 5 history functionnality with Spring Boot, it works well, but when I'm refreshing the page with a context (added with the history API, e.g. http://localhost:8080/user), I got an 404 error because of Spring looking for the context /users 

How can I solve this ? How can I tell Spring to delegate the URI management to Vaadin ?

Thanks

Adrien

eric broun
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 6:59am

hi .
I WANT DEVELOP ERP SYSTEM BY VAADIN.
PLEASE HELP ME.

Károly Kótay-Szabó
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 9:01am

Hello!
If we migrate a Vaadin 7 project into 8 and we want to use both 7 (to stay compatible) and 8 features, then we have to use both the vaadin-compatibility-XXX.jars and the new vaadin-XXX jars or only the vaadin-compatibility-XXX.jars?
Thanks in advance!

Marten Prieß
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 11:50am

Hi,

I've tried to migrate my https://vaadin.com/directory#!addon/gridutil to vaadin 8 and got a lot of issues to get everything done.

Could you please explain your idea of using the grid in real-live examples. For example a grid  with custom ColumnRenders, Filtering etc. The API of the grid confused me a lot - especially the mixing of ValueProvider and propertyName for column handling. Furthermore the PropertySet that is instantiated within the constructor is not accessible from outside.

Thanks in advance!

Mounir Boussetta
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 12:23pm
Matti Tahvonen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 12:32pm
Tim Troy
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 12:56pm
Steve Jenkings
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 1:08pm
App Keto
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 1:27pm

Could you guys post this source code in github and provide the link so that other people can follow your code.

Károly Kótay-Szabó
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 1:34pm
Mounir Boussetta
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 1:48pm

Is Calendar component will be availabale in v 8.1? we really need it.

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:22pm
Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:25pm

Károly Kótay-Szabó: The AbstractComponent.setImmediate(boolean) method gone. Is every component is immediate = true? The setReadOnly(boolean) also disappeared. Why?

Yes, all components are now immediate, and you cannot change that. The only component that actually still has a immediate mode, is the Upload component, where there is also a difference in the UX of the component.

The read-only has been moved from AbstractComponent to the HasValue interface (implemented by all field components), as it only makes sense for components that allow the user to edit a value. It has no sense for e.g. a Label...

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:29pm

App Keto: Could you guys post this source code in github and provide the link so that other people can follow your code.

From the webinar, my first example is available in the whatsnew page.

The application that Matti migrated from V7 to V8 is available in Spring Guides, you can find the source code from git

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:40pm

Steve Jenkings: I know 8.1 is in the pipline and am very keen for TreeGrid to be v 8 comliant but not sure when I will get this and what else will be in the same release. Could you publish a road-map on your web-site somewhere showing planned releases and content please for say the remainder of this year? 

For 8.1 the plan is 
- TreeGrid and HierarchicalDataProvider
- Components in Grid
- HTML5 drag and drop support
- DND of Grid's rows
- Better OSGi support (Liferay 7)
- Other things are considered, but no guarantees at this point
Currently it looks like it would be release in May, meaning that a beta would be out in April. This is the current plan, and it can change.

For rest of the year and long term roadmap, there will be announcements in due time, most likely in the blog. You can always refer to https://vaadin.com/roadmap to the most up-to-date information.

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:45pm

Károly Kótay-Szabó: Hello!
If we migrate a Vaadin 7 project into 8 and we want to use both 7 (to stay compatible) and 8 features, then we have to use both the vaadin-compatibility-XXX.jars and the new vaadin-XXX jars or only the vaadin-compatibility-XXX.jars?
Thanks in advance!

As seen from the webinar, you just need to use the compatibility ones as they depend on the "actual" V8 ones. Once you've migrated everything to V8 (no com.vaadin.v7.* imports), then you can switch to use the non-compatibility jars. 

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 3:59pm

marten: Hi,

I've tried to migrate my https://vaadin.com/directory#!addon/gridutil to vaadin 8 and got a lot of issues to get everything done.

Could you please explain your idea of using the grid in real-live examples. For example a grid  with custom ColumnRenders, Filtering etc. The API of the grid confused me a lot - especially the mixing of ValueProvider and propertyName for column handling. Furthermore the PropertySet that is instantiated within the constructor is not accessible from outside.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR: Not sure I can really explain anything better than what is in our documentation, so please refer to grid and data provider documentataion.

We probably didn't touched this enough in the webinar, but basically the Grid has two flavours. Reading all the properties from the bean (using the constructor accepting the bean class), or defining columns per ValueProvider callbacks. For the bean based grid, the id of the column is the same as the property name in the bean. For the value provider based grid, you can define the id of the column using Column.setId in case you need to configure it more later on and don't want to store it separately.

Not sure what you mean with the PropertySet, there is a static builder method Grid.withPropertySet where you can provide your own set of properties to use, instead of using all properties.

Pekka Hyvönen
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 4:14pm

MBX: How to bind nested beans in grid, and how to add a custom column to the grid which may contain a custom component (e.g: HorizontalLayout of many components).

Tim Troy: Just started learning Vaadin.  Looking for Best Practices using Vaadin with EclipseLink.  We will need to develop dynamic tables with custom editors/renders.  Dialogs invoked from tables (or should grids be the focus).

For custom column compontents, you can use the build-in renderers or build your custom one. The directory has some addons with more renderer implementations, hopefully migrated to support 8. As mentioned in the webinar, the components in grid allows you to have any component in any cell in the grid, and is being currently developed for 8.1. 

The editor fields for each column in the grid's inline editor can be customized.

Graham Stephenson
5 years ago Mar 07, 2017 9:37pm
Basil Bourque
5 years ago Mar 08, 2017 4:57am
Matti Tahvonen
5 years ago Mar 08, 2017 8:26am