Cell details generator

Hi guys,

I’m currently evaluating if my company should proceed with vaadin grid oruse something else, and I just stumbled on a problem: I see there is a row details generator, which is great, but there is no such a function for cells.

What I would like to do, for instance, would be to display an “adress” icon on each row of my grid (where 1 row would be 1 customer), and when you mouse over the icon, you get the adress displayed in a tooltip. If I wanted only this, this would be doable by using the row detaisl generator. But then aside, there would be an “order” icon for instance, which shows the orders history for each customer, and aside another cells displaying the last customer login, but when the mouse is over, it would display the whole login history, etc… you get the idea

This would be extremely convenient; but I don’t see how to achieve such a function with your grid at the moment. Maybe you have an idea?

Hi, and sorry for the later response!

For
vaadin-grid 1.2, you have cell renderers
, which you can use to generate the content of the cell and place any HTML inside it.

For vaadin-grid 2.0 (entering beta very soon) has declarative templates
instead, which support 2-way data-binding also, making them very powerful and convenient.

Both of those should support your use case, as long as the tooltip element you use works so that it doesn’t get rendered inside the grid cell, as it will get clipped (so it should be rendered under the body and just visually placed over the grid cell).