How change color of items in MenuBar when selecting sub-item

Items in my menu do have sub-menu items.
How can I set style for parent when a child is selected?

Currently, I’m trying to use setStyleName in menuSelected function like what I posted below, but it does not work.

public void menuSelected(final MenuItem selectedItem) { removeAllStyleFromMenuItem(); setHighLightSelectedMenuItem(selectedItem); } private void setHighLightSelectedMenuItem(final MenuItem selectedItem) { if (selectedItem.getParent() == null) { selectedItem.setStyleName("selected"); } else { setHighLightSelectedMenuItem(selectedItem.getParent()); } } Please give me the feedback if anyone knows any solution.
Thank you in advance.

What styles you have defined your theme file for that stylename?

Hi Tatu Lund,
Thank you for your reply.
I set border, background for v-menubar-menuitem and set color for v-menubar-menuitem-caption

I see, if you do something like this selectedItem.setStyleName(“selected”); you should have something set for target selected in your styles, otherwise there is no effect. You should have something like this in your styles.

.selected {
background-color: red
}

Although I would give more specific stylename for my custom style in order to avoid conflicts.

Yes, I already added selected class into my css file, but it does not work. Do you have any idea?

By the way, the code I posted was only sample code, i named the css class in different way in my real project. Thank you for your feedback Tatu Lund.