Can't run Vaadin 7 (maven generated) project on tomcat 8

Hello,

When I create Vaadin 7 (maven) project (vaadin-archetype-application) using eclipse, I got an error in the pom file
line 143: ​Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: com.vaadin:vaadin-maven-plugin:7.5.6:update-theme (execution: default, phase: generate-sources).
Moreover, when I attempt to run it on server (tomcat 8), I got this error:

Dec 20, 2016 3:58:16 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase startInternal
SEVERE: A child container failed during start
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina]
.StandardHost[localhost]
.StandardContext
[/myapplication]]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:192)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:917)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:871)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1409)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1399)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina]
.StandardHost[localhost]
.StandardContext
[/myapplication]]
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
… 6 more
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@5715a372]

Any suggestions/help?

The error about vaadin-maven-plugin and the Tomcat exception seem to be unrelated. The first error is Eclipse specific and is related to m2eclipse. You can get rid of the problem by using the quick fix Eclipse suggests for the problem. More about that lifecycle mapping here:
http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-execution-not-covered.html

Unfortunately I don’t have any insight for the Tomcat exception. What is the root exception causing Tomcat failing to start component. Can you see any other exceptions in the log earlier.