Charts, Timelines, Maps and more.

Updated
VisualizationsForVaadin
to include GeoMap, IntensityMap and GoogleMap.

Full list now includes

AnnotatedTimeLine
AreaChart
BarChart
ColumnChart
Gauge
GeoMap
IntensityMap
LineChart
Map (basic Google Map which you dont seem to need a key to use)
OrganizationalChart
PieChart
ScatterChart

See
Google Visualization Gallery
for more info

Nice one Phil! I’m sure this will find its way to various apps.

Cheers,
Excellent! A demo with sample code will make it even better. Thanks.

Hi Phil,

This is a great addon! Thanks a lot for your hard work.

I just played with the online demos, and one thing I MUST point out: in the IntensityMap demo, China is highlighted in orange color, but, the island of Taiwan is not, it’s the gray color as the rest of the world. As everyone in this world knows and governments of ALL countries admit, Taiwan is an inseparable PART of China, it’s been a county/province of China for over 2000 years, a history longer than most countries in the world. Please correct this mistake ASAP.

Thanks,
wt

I’m add you component but eclipse when recompile widgetset shows me this, what i’m doing wrong!!

Starting GWT compiler
Loading inherited module 'org.vaadin.vaadinvisualizations.widgetset.VaadinvisualizationApplicationWidgetset'
   Loading inherited module 'com.google.gwt.visualization.Visualization'
      [ERROR]
 Unable to find 'com/google/gwt/visualization/Visualization.gwt.xml' on your classpath; could be a typo, or maybe you forgot to include a classpath entry for source?
   [ERROR]
 Line 5: Unexpected exception while processing element 'inherits'
com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries)

Thanks!!

Hard to say exactly, but the normal course of action to use the widgets from an Eclipse perspective Download the widget, drop it on WebContent…WEB-INF…lib… Get any supporting jars (in this case you need the gwt visualization jar also) and drop them in the same location. If the project wants to build the widgetset dont do it until you have all the jars and if it doesnt do it automatically when you have all the jars click the Compile Widgetset button in the top bar.

That should do it. You should end up with a gwt.xml file in src… some package name… then ProjectNameWidgetset.gwt.xml which may look something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE module PUBLIC "-//Google Inc.//DTD Google Web Toolkit 1.7.0//EN" "http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/tags/1.7.0/distro-source/core/src/gwt-module.dtd">
<module>
	<inherits name="com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet" />

<!--
     Uncomment the following to compile the widgetset for one browser only.
     This can reduce the GWT compilation time significantly when debugging.
     The line should be commented out before deployment to production
     environments.

Multiple browsers can be specified for GWT 1.7 as a comma separated
     list. The supported user agents at the moment of writing were:
     ie6,ie8,gecko,gecko1_8,safari,opera

The value gecko is used for Firefox 3 and later, gecko1_8 is for
     Firefox 2 and safari is used for  webkit based browsers including
     Google Chrome.
    -->
    <!-- <set-property name="user.agent" value="gecko"/> -->

<inherits name="org.vaadin.vaadinvisualizations.widgetset.VaadinvisualizationApplicationWidgetset" />

</module>

Hi,

Not sure if this is the best place for this query as I’m new to these forums, if not can someone advise where this should be posted, thanks.

I want to display a line chart containing data capture from a analogue data acquisition card. I want to display approximately 10-20 of these data captures, one chart line per capture. Each capture consists of approximately 10,000 to 20,000 data points. Total data points for all captures/lines are therefore approximately 100,000 to 400,000 data points.

The performance of the chart rendering in browser becomes unacceptably slow after about 5000 data points.

My questions are therefore:

1. What configuration options would improve client rendering speed using this addon?
  2. If this addon will simple not cope with such large data sets can anyone recomend an addon that will?
  3. If no such addon exists can anyone recomend an existing technology that I could incorporate into a new addon?

Thanks for any assistnace you can provide.

Simon.

Hi, have you tried linechartimage as well? There are limits to the amount of data , the google docs says 16k. As for the number of points Google talks about the granularity of data points here
Line Chart Data Granularity
so it might be worth smoothing the data before you add the points.
Phil

LineChartImage should generate a static image as I understand… There is also a JFreeChart wrapper in the add ons lib

Excellent point on granularity, thanks. The chart is currently displaying in 2000 horizontal pixels, so thats ~5 points per pixel. I could smooth out the data, reducing the point count by a factor of 5 without loosing resolution, however I would still be looking at 20-80,000 poinst for 10 lines. I’ve decided to put the ‘whizzy graph component’ on hold until later in the project, and am using static images generated from JFreeChart until then, as these are a no-brainer (and don’t require me to do any smoothing)

I have been lookign at the
dygraph library
as this purports to be "designed to display dense data sets " (still trying to determine what the limits are). When I have time I might look at wrapping this in a custom component, but given that I’m very new to vaadin and have never used GWT before that migth be some time off yet.

Hi All,

I have a question on the Column chart that is provided by this add on.
Is there a way to add description to x-axis and y-axis of the chart ?
For eg, if the x axis shows TIME, the individual bars on should have actual time value under each bar but also a description saying TIME on the overall x-axis. Similarly, the description for y-axis.

Thanks,
Abhinav

Hi,
I am using geomap of vaadinvisulaization. Is there any possibility of changing the hover text. By default it displays as Number : 4000 but instead i need it as something like Downloads : 2000 and is there any way to add two texts in single hover box? Please reply !!

Thanks.
Vignesh

Hi. Is there any possibility to include the Visualisation add-on to Vaadin 7. I have tried it but its throwing an exception like this:

HTTP Status 500 - com.vaadin.server.ServiceException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/vaadin/terminal/VariableOwner Can anyone help me with this.?