Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Vaadin Newbie attempting to use Add-on

ralph cook
5 years ago Oct 06, 2016 3:40pm
Mirjan Merruko
5 years ago Oct 13, 2016 3:22pm

Hi,

For the instructions below I used NetBeans IDE 8.2 All.

Try installing the Vaadin Plug-in for Netbeans and you can create a Vaadin project using the "New Project" wizard. I would suggest using the "Vaadin Web Application Project".

If what you wish to do is simply use an addon then you would need to do the following :

1. Go to the addon page and copy the maven <dependency> element and paste it inside the <dependencies> element in the generated project's "pom.xml" file. If we use FlexibleOptionGroup as an example that would be :

<dependency>
<groupId>org.vaadin.addons</groupId>
<artifactId>flexibleoptiongroup</artifactId>
<version>2.3.0</version>
</dependency>

2. Delete "MyUI" (generated by the wizard) and replace it with the UI of the demo found here. Change the package accordingly (com.mycompany.{project_name} is the default generated one, where {project_name} is your project's name).
3. The widget set is found under src/main/resources in "Other Sources". For example for the default generated package this is "com.mycompany.{project_name}". Inside this package you should find a file with the .gwt.xml extension (I get MyAppWidgetSet.gwt.xml). For the widgetset you would need to set "com.mycompany.{project_name}.MyAppWidgetSet" where project_name is your project name. If your widgetset has a different name then adjust accordingly.
4. Right click on the project, select Run and in the "Server" select your preferred server (I'm using the bundled 'GlassFish Server 4.1.1). If you have build your project previously this should open a tab in your browser with your application running.

In general for using an add-on all you need with maven is to add the dependency element in your pom.xml and you can use it while developing your Vaadin application (more information on Vaadin development can be found on the book of Vaadin) and you don't have to worry about the widgetset, the maven plugin and the IDE integration should handle this for you.

Let me know if this solves your issue!