How to get the client Browser TZ in Vaadin Server

Hi
I need to get the browser time zone on the Vaadin application
I tried
((WebApplicationContext)this.getContext()).getBrowser().getRawTimezoneOffset() etc. methods present in WebBrowser class
but all of them have no values of the client Time Zone and return default values 0 or the server time

Does any one know how to solve this ?

Thanks
Anurag

“default values 0 or the server time” So which one does it return. You’re looking in the right spot. There should be a few methods about time zones. They should return the difference in hours between server and client. From there you can use the int to convert it into a timezone with a lookup.

Hi Jens,
I tried ((WebApplicationContext)this.getContext()).getBrowser().getCurrentDate() … this always returns the Date in the server Time Zone , which does not help.

((WebApplicationContext)this.getContext()).getBrowser().getRawTimezoneOffset() … this always returns 0 irrespective of the TZ of the browser client ,
which is also not correct

Hence i need to know if someone has solved this or this is a bug in Vaadin.

-Anurag

The demo in the sampler
appears to work just fine. The source code looks similar to yours (link at the top right), have not investigated further.

Hi Jean ,

I am using Vaadin 6.7.3 , i tried the same code & it does not work.
Has this anything to do with vaadin version ??

-Anurag

Where exactly in your code are you trying to retrieve the timezone? The timezone won’t be availabe until the first client<->server roundtrip has been made i.e. its not available in the Application constructor for instance.

Thanks John

You were right , i was trying to get hold before the first round trip.
Now it is having valid data.

-Anurag

How did you solve your problem? How do you know if the first “round-trip” is already finished?

Chris,

In my case we have a Login View & subsequently the application view , so we put the necessary code after the Login is done.
By this time the application instance has already been created.

Please try with following codes
getUI().getPage().getWebBrowser().getCurrentDate();
getUI().getPage().getWebBrowser().getTimezoneOffset();

I am having issues with this also. In part of my code I am getting the current datetime and using it in the application

[code]
SimpleDateFormat sdfDate = new SimpleDateFormat(“MMM dd yyyy HH:mm”);
String info = sdfDate.format(getUI().getPage().getWebBrowser().getCurrentDate());

return info

[/code]The time I am getting back is one hour before the current time. I have check the time and timezone on both the server and client, and the time setup is correct. When I run in eclipse I do not have this problem and also the popup date time fields have the correct time.

What am I doing wrong, it has got to be something simple?

If you want to retrieve native java’s ZoneId, you can do it this way:

[code]
int offsetInt = getUI().getPage().getWebBrowser().getTimezoneOffset();

int MILLISECONDS_IN_HOUR = 3_600_000;
int MILLISECONDS_IN_MINUTE = 60000;
int SECONDS_IN_MINUTE = 60;

String offset = String.format(“%02d:%02d”,
Math.abs(offsetInt / MILLISECONDS_IN_HOUR),
Math.abs((offsetInt / MILLISECONDS_IN_MINUTE) % SECONDS_IN_MINUTE));
offset = (offsetInt >= 0 ? “+” : “-”) + offset;
ZoneId zoneId = ZoneId.of(offset);
[/code]I found this solution here: http://outofrange.ru/2017/01/how-to-get-user-zoneid-in-vaadin/

how can we get exact timezone of client browser
i tried the below on but it not give the actual timezone of client it gives server timezone

WebBrowser webBrowser = UI.getCurrent().getPage().getWebBrowser();
webBrowser.getCurrentDate()