Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Grid Performance Issues

jon hanson
5 years ago Jul 26, 2016 5:59pm
Vesa Tuononen
5 years ago Jul 26, 2016 8:22pm

Known issue.
Suggested workaround is use Spreadsheet not the Grid.
https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/13624019

I've also found that if you manually set column widths it cut down rendering time a little.
You can use superdevmode and profiler tools in Browser those give quite detailed inforamation what methods takes long.

jon hanson
5 years ago Jul 27, 2016 7:03am

Thanks for that. This comment is interesting:

Grid is by design not optimized for "spreadsheet-like" use

So Grid, the new high-performance replacement for Table, is actually slower for "spreadsheet-like" usage, The latter term includes even moderately large numbers of columns (20+).

They really should make the limitations of Grid clear in the documentation. I spent several days rewriting my code to use Grid (mostly to use to use the new multi-level row headers), and another few days investigating this perf issue and trying various fixes to avoid it, and now it looks like I will have to port it back to Table.

Unfortunately, Spreadsheet is a commercial product, and my use case is for a simple support tool so this is not an option.

Do you have any sense of whether a fix is in the pipeline for this?