Widget Set recompilation problem

I have been working on a project for several months now - building it (successfully) using Eclipse and Vaadin.
Yesterday I did an update on Vaadin (to version 6.7.8) and tried to recompile the project widgets. I think it succeeded, but
I’m not sure. The output from the console window is shown below…

I tried doing an update of Eclipse itself, and it downloaded quite a number of files. But I still get this output. Can someone tell me
what I’ve screwed up?

Where should I be looking to see exactly what widgets should be recompiled?

Thanks very much,

nbc

Compiling widgetset com.dsi.config.vipr.widgetset.Vipr_001Widgetset
Updating GWT module description file...
Apr 25, 2012 10:10:40 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
INFO: Widgetsets found from classpath:
	com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet in jar:file:/app/AikiSoft/Software/Eclipse/WS/DSI/Apps/VIPR_001/WebContent/WEB-INF/lib/vaadin-6.7.8.jar!/
	com.dsi.config.vipr.widgetset.Vipr_001Widgetset in file:/app/AikiSoft/Software/Eclipse/WS/DSI/Apps/VIPR_001/src

Apr 25, 2012 10:10:40 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getAvailableWidgetSets
INFO: Search took 3ms
Done.
Starting GWT compiler
Compiling module com.dsi.config.vipr.widgetset.Vipr_001Widgetset
   Validating newly compiled units
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/editor/client/EditorDriver.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 20: The import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 97: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/editor/client/impl/AbstractSimpleBeanEditorDriver.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 28: Name clash: The method setConstraintViolations(Iterable<ConstraintViolation<?>>) of type BaseEditorDriver<T,E> has the same erasure as setConstraintViolations(Iterable<ConstraintViolation<?>>) of type EditorDriver<T> but does not override it
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/editor/client/impl/BaseEditorDriver.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 31: The import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 67: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/editor/client/impl/SimpleViolation.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 25: The import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 40: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 43: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 44: Missing code implementation in the compiler
         [ERROR]
 Line 49: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 49: Missing code implementation in the compiler
         [ERROR]
 Line 70: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 72: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 73: ConstraintViolation<?> cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 77: ConstraintViolation<capture#2-of ?> cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 81: ConstraintViolation<capture#3-of ?> cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 89: ConstraintViolation<capture#4-of ?> cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 93: ConstraintViolation<capture#5-of ?> cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 98: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/com/google/gwt/editor/client/testing/MockSimpleBeanEditorDriver.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 26: The import javax.validation.ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 35: The type MockSimpleBeanEditorDriver<T,E> must implement the inherited abstract method EditorDriver<T>.setConstraintViolations(Iterable<ConstraintViolation<?>>)
         [ERROR]
 Line 107: Name clash: The method setConstraintViolations(Iterable<ConstraintViolation<?>>) of type MockSimpleBeanEditorDriver<T,E> has the same erasure as setConstraintViolations(Iterable<ConstraintViolation<?>>) of type EditorDriver<T> but does not override it
         [ERROR]
 Line 108: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/javax/validation/super/javax/validation/Configuration.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 93: TraversableResolver cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 105: ConstraintValidatorFactory cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 182: TraversableResolver cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 182: No source code is available for type TraversableResolver; did you forget to inherit a required module?
         [ERROR]
 Line 194: ConstraintValidatorFactory cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 194: No source code is available for type ConstraintValidatorFactory; did you forget to inherit a required module?
         [ERROR]
 Line 202: ValidatorFactory cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 202: No source code is available for type ValidatorFactory; did you forget to inherit a required module?
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/javax/validation/ConstraintViolationException_CustomFieldSerializer.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 30: ConstraintViolationException cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 34: ConstraintViolationException cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 34: No source code is available for type ConstraintViolationException; did you forget to inherit a required module?
         [ERROR]
 Line 39: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 39: ConstraintViolation cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 40: ConstraintViolationException cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 44: ConstraintViolationException cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/javax/validation/super/javax/validation/MessageInterpolator.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 21: The import javax.validation.metadata cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 66: ConstraintDescriptor cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/javax/validation/super/javax/validation/constraints/Pattern.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 30: The import javax.validation.Constraint cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 31: The import javax.validation.Payload cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 49: Constraint cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 49: The attribute validatedBy is undefined for the annotation type Constraint
         [ERROR]
 Line 75: Payload cannot be resolved to a type
      [ERROR]
 Errors in 'jar:file:/opt/pd/src/Eclipse/Indigo/eclipse/configuration/com.vaadin.integration.eclipse/download/gwt-user/2.3.0/gwt-user.jar!/javax/validation/super/javax/validation/spi/ConfigurationState.java'
         [ERROR]
 Line 22: The import javax.validation.ConstraintValidatorFactory cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 24: The import javax.validation.TraversableResolver cannot be resolved
         [ERROR]
 Line 93: ConstraintValidatorFactory cannot be resolved to a type
         [ERROR]
 Line 107: TraversableResolver cannot be resolved to a type
   Computing all possible rebind results for 'com.google.gwt.user.client.UserAgentAsserter'
      Rebinding com.google.gwt.user.client.UserAgentAsserter
         Checking rule <generate-with class='com.google.gwt.editor.rebind.SimpleBeanEditorDriverGenerator'/>
            [WARN]
 Detected warnings related to 'com.google.gwt.editor.client.SimpleBeanEditorDriver'.   Are validation-api-<version>.jar and validation-api-<version>-sources.jar on the classpath?
            [WARN]
 Unknown type 'com.google.gwt.editor.client.SimpleBeanEditorDriver' specified in deferred binding rule
Apr 25, 2012 10:10:55 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getPaintablesHavingWidgetAnnotation
INFO: Searching for paintables..
Apr 25, 2012 10:10:56 PM com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.widgetsetutils.ClassPathExplorer getPaintablesHavingWidgetAnnotation
INFO: Search took 577ms
Widgetset compilation completed

Hmm looks more like an eclipse problem to me. Have you tried stepping back to the version of Vaadin that did work for you?
To see if your widgets will compile then?
It also can be that the add-ons themselfs you are using are to old and they need to be updated to a later version of vaadin.
It all depens on the version of vaadin you where using at the time your project worked still.
(you can change the vaadin version back to an older version by right clicking your Eclipse project then select: properties->Vaadin and then select the version that did work for you)

Well, just a guess: It looks like you either are missing the javax.validation-Classes completely (is there an JEE-6-Impl in the classpath? I mean not only somehow referenced by the eclipse-project but really accessible through Ant?) or at least missing the source for those files (the latter might be true if the errors are coming from the GWT-compiler).

I did try the earlier version of vaadin - with the same failure result… I think I’m missing something in the class path, as was suggested. Not sure why or how that happened, since I have compiled this project (and the widgets) many times. I will see if I can find the missing libraries…

thanks,

nbc

As addition to my previous post: It might even be, that you have edited your widgets so that they now depend on javax.validation.*. The GWT-Compiler only needs classes in sourcecode that are somehow referenced by the code in *.client-Package - even an indirect reference would do it!

From which version did you upgrade? Probably one that used an older version of GWT, the current one requires the validation JARs (although your widgetset would probably work despite the error messages).

If you have the latest Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse version, try to first downgrade Vaadin version to an old one (pre-6.7), apply the changes and then re-upgrade it to 6.7.8 using Project Properties → Vaadin. That should trigger the loading of the required GWT version and its dependencies, and the validation JARs will be used in widgetset compilation.

I ended up just re-installing Eclipse (the same version as before) and then installing the Vaadin plugin along with the latest jar file. When I re-created my projects, they all seemed to work. Not sure exactly where I went wrong, but I’m back in operation now. Thanks…

nbc

Hi,

I don’t know if this could fix your problem but it fixed mine.

I added the validation-api-1.0.0-GA.jar and I added the validation-api-1.0.0-GA-sources.jar to my classpath and it worked.