Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

ViewManager (is it still the way to go?) - any tips

Paris Apostolopoulos
10 years ago Mar 21, 2012 8:15am

Hello, this is my first post and it's been a couple of days trying to hack something with Vaadin. I come from a Struts / JSF based background and this is my first 'contact' with GWT based frameworks and that kind of Java Web development.

One of the most important things in the context of the applications I had worked on is the routing/controlling from one view to another. For example you get the initial login Screen (view) but then you want to move to the main screen which then again might have several menu items that might redirect the user to other screens views. In struts you had Actions pointing to other actions, in JSF you had rules and xml wiring pointing to different Views.

I have been studying a bit, several examples (especially the gasdiary example) and some others and I could see the use of the ViewManager Pattern. Where it 'caches' components and switches screens. The ViewManager is wired into the Application object and is being called whenever we want to move from another view to something else.

Question1: Is it still the recommended way (pattern) or there something better I could have a look (I can see lots of 2009 posts).

Question2: Are there any more concrete examples with complex routing and navigation - it seems that most of the examples are basic stuff with a couple of windows instantiated or just a single view.

Many thanks for your time, any tip would be highly appreciated!

Marko Grönroos
10 years ago Mar 21, 2012 9:32am
Paris Apostolopoulos
10 years ago Mar 21, 2012 9:54am
Roger Stenman
8 years ago Aug 05, 2013 8:14am
Marco Missfeldt
8 years ago Aug 06, 2013 11:48am