ContextMenu not appearing. What am I missing?

I have a Grid in a VerticalLayout, and a ContextMenu attached to it.
However, when right clicking a row, the ContextMenuOpenEvent fires, but I never see the menu itself.
In short - I see the itemId log. But I never see the “Compare” item in a menu, and cannot get the “Ha!” notification.
What am I missing?
Here is the code:

//Add context menu
        GridContextMenu contextMenu = new GridContextMenu(grid);

// Menu
        contextMenu.addGridBodyContextMenuListener(new GridContextMenu.GridContextMenuOpenListener() {
            @Override
            public void onContextMenuOpen(GridContextMenuOpenEvent e) {
                contextMenu.removeItems();
                final Object itemId = e.getItemId();
                log.info(itemId.toString());

contextMenu.addItem("Compare", new Menu.Command() {
                    @Override
                    public void menuSelected(MenuItem menuItem) {
                        Notification.show("Ha!");
                    }
                });
            }
        });

Yeah, I had the same problem. Cannot remember what fixed it, though. :frowning:

However I can see my code within the onContextMenuOpen() method is slightly different in that I get the ContextMenu to act on from the event.

//Add context menu
GridContextMenu contextMenu = new GridContextMenu(grid);

// Menu
contextMenu.addGridBodyContextMenuListener(new GridContextMenu.GridContextMenuOpenListener() {
    @Override
    public void onContextMenuOpen(GridContextMenuOpenEvent e) {
        ContextMenu cMenu = event.getContextMenu();
        cMenu.removeItems();
        final Object itemId = e.getItemId();
        log.info(itemId.toString());
        cMenu.addItem("Compare", new Menu.Command() {
            @Override
            public void menuSelected(MenuItem menuItem) {
                        Notification.show("Ha!");
            }
        });
    }
});

BUT. I don’t think that’s why.

Does your log statement fire ?

Have you checked that you’ve recompiled the widgetset after adding add-on to your project? Try checking in web browser’s F12 tool if there are any errors.

I am getting the the itemId log printing as expected, and I don’t see any errors in the browser console.
I didn’t specifically recompile the widgetset. Is it necessary?
I do see in the maven log these lines:
[INFO]
— vaadin-maven-plugin:7.6.3:update-widgetset (default) @ winehouse-server —
[WARNING]
GWT plugin is configured to detect modules, but none were found.
[INFO]
No widgetsets to update.
[INFO]
To create a widgetset, define a non-existing module in your pom.xml .

I don’t have a custom widgetset, I don’t remember exactly, but I believe I removed it after starting the project - it’s a simple view into a db so I figured I won’t need any custom wdgets…

I believe that may be the problem. Yes, it is necessary to recompile the Widgetset. Are you using a Maven multi-module project as the one that can be generated from the Vaadin Maven Plugin?

My experience: When I started out with Vaadin I added add-ons manually by editing the POMs. That turned out to be a bad idea as I had misunderstood in which sub-module an add-on should be added. Now I let the NetBeans IDE Vaadin Plugin do the work and that somehow works a lot better even if its still just some Maven POM stuff that gets changed.

Nah, but you’ll (sooner or later) need to add Add-Ons to your project and these should be part of your widgetset compilation.

If you use the Vaadin Maven multi-module archetype then you’ll get the following modules auto-generated as your project:

fabulousapp - Parent
  fabulousapp - production
  fabulousapp - ui
  fabulousapp - widgetset

ui
is where you have all your code.

When you use the IDE plugin to add Add-Ons they effectively gets added as a dependency on your widgetset POM,
not
your ui POM. So even if don’t intend to customize the widgetset you shouldn’t remove the widgetset module.

Thanks Peter. That did te trick.
I just added the .gwt.xml file under resources and added a @WidgetSet annotation to the UI class, compiled one and evoila!
It’s not really a complex project, just replacing some old php stuff I wrote years ago and can barely understand now :slight_smile:
It’s just an internal tool using for easy viewes and filtering of a simple db, I really don’t expect adding a lot to it.