Debug VButton / compiling vaadin source in Eclipse?

Using OOPHM in 6.3, is there a strategy I can take to set a breakpoint in VButton? I can set breakpoints now in my VCKEditorTextField client side widget, but I don’t know how to step in to ever reach the VButton code to set a breakpoint there.

In Eclipse, I tried updating the Java Build Path’s library for vaadin-6.3.0-nightly-20100223-c11503.jar to point to another project I have that is the vaadin source code, but that doesn’t seem to work, per se. That is, I tried putting a breakpoint in the VButton code (it does appear in Eclipse as breakpoint) but clearly that source code is not related to my project’s JAR in any meaningful way for the debugger.

Do I have to compile the Vaadin source project and then use it’s JAR in my project? Is this easily doable? I have the source, but don’t really know how to make that compile in Eclipse as it has no builders or the like associated with it when I checked it out of SVN.

Every JAR out of Vaadin should have sources included in it. You shouldn’t have to have another source for the source code. For me it is enough to just open the file (in eclipse ctrl+shift+o → VButton )

Thanks for the tip. I knew there had to be away, but was fumbling around trying to figure out how to get the VButton.class’s java source to appear so I could set the breakpoint.

Ctrl-Shift-O seems to just “organize imports” for me, but in the Button.class where VButton is referenced in the imports I could open it by selecting VButton in the import area and press F3 (Open Declaration) to open the VButton.class java source and set breakpoints.

Thanks for the tip since it works great!

Ctrl-Shift-O is indeed organize imports.

Ctrl-Shift-T lets you open a type, like Ctrl-Shift-R lets you open a resource etc.

As I got to shortcuts, two more hints to those less familiar with Eclipse: To see most/all available keyboard shortcuts - many of which are very useful - try the key assist (from the help menu or Ctrl-Shift-L). Ctrl-F6 and Ctrl-Shift-F6 are also extremely useful key combinations - they switch to the next/previous recently used editor. They maintain a “most recently used” stack of editors, and you can keep Ctrl depressed and press F6 multiple times.