OpenLayers HTTPS SSL

hi,

is it possible to establish a https connection to osm with the OpenLayers addon?

thanks in advance!

Hi,

I guess you are trying to get rid of “mixed content warnings”? AFAIK OSM is only provided as non-SSL service, so the answer is not easily.

But there are couple of methods I think you could use:

• download the OSM material and serve it with with your own map server
  • Create a proxy to your SSL server for tiles, you’ll also need to modify the OL script a bit to fetch images via your proxy instead of public non ssl servers

cheers,
matti

you got it :wink: is there another layer supported by OpenLayers which offers ssl support without cost?

Hi,

I think Google Maps is nowadays offered via SSL without charges nowadays (used to be for paying customers only). But Google Maps has its rather strict license otherwise. Same for Bing maps. I don’t know if SSLs version is directly supported by OLs, but I’d guess it would be rather easy to add such a feature.

I’d go with the proxy option. It is rather easy to get started (especially if you have ever played with proxies before) and there you could also make a cache for tiles so that things will work faster in case OSM servers are slow or down for some reason or e.g. your internet connection is down.

cheers,
matti

will go with the proxy option, thank you!