Vaadin and Enterprise Search

We are considering using Vaadin for an enterprise search web application. However, we would like to get some feedback on what would be some of the best options for building a search application. Before learning about Vaadin we were considering using
Sphinx
with a MySQL database for the search application. We need something that can quickly index and search large data sets as well as scale to support tens of thousands of simultaneous users.

Has anyone developed enterprise search web application with Vaadin?

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi, Doug!

I don’t see why you couldn’t use Sphinx for the backend and create the UI with Vaadin. Some projects have also successfully implemented search using Lucene and Vaadin.

The two domains should really be kept separate; The search backend should be separate from the UI layer. So you can basically build your search backend to be extremely scalable and fast, which probably is the most important thing in your project, and then build a UI with Vaadin if that is appropriate.

I’d say that Vaadin supports building web applications much better than web pages. I’d actually suggest looking into other frameworks if your search solution will be something like google, but if you’re doing an application that should search vast amounts of data Vaadin + Sphinx sounds like a good match.

Lots of words, not much content. Sorry about that :slight_smile:
/Jonatan

Hi Doug,

we’re using Lucene as main fulltext and attributive search engine for our enterprise application and it performs quite well under high dataset size and high load. Lucene’s file based index format seems to be quite effective. Did not try Sphinx, so cannot say anything abot it.

And as Jonatan stated above, just kep it separately from UI, so you’ll have a room to build any UI as well as change/replace it at any time.

Regarding the Vaadin - we do actively using Vaadin to present search results, even large ones (up to 12K records).