Media Support

Is there any work planned for better media support? A vaadin media player with playlist would be nice, not too worried about non html 5 browsers (i.e. a flash fallback).

Hi,

You might want to look at the children of the
AbstractMedia
class - maybe those could help in the completion of your tasks.

//sasha

No such changes are planned for Vaadin 7. In general, the focus for 7.0 is on necessary redesigns of more fundamental parts of the framework. Changes to specific components will instead be considered for 6.8 or 7.1 where more fundamental changes can not be included because their impact on backwards compatibility.

Regarding a media player, I don’t see why that kind of specific functionality should be included in the core of a generic web framework. Vaadin does however already provide the basic building blocks for such a component in the form of the Audio component introduced in version 6.7.0.

I’ve played around with it a little more and I agree that it shouldn’t really be a feature since everyone will want a slightly different behavior etc. Not to mention the fact that it is very easy to write whatever kind of player you can imagine without too much effort.

Thanks for the replies