Calendar Upgrade for Vaadin 7

I’ve posted a similar/shorter post in the wrong category. I know I am a lowly user of vaadin and I do not have any influence over vaadin 7. All that being said…

If the Calendar could be upgraded to allow for ranges and multiple days it would be great. The mode would be a toggle on the object, keeping the legacy behavior there for default mode. Otherwise you could switch the component into a multi day mode where you could either select multiple individual days or you could select a range.

Initially I thought the and keys could be used control the multiple and range selection but I think it could get cumbersome. As to whether or not a single calendar would allow for the selection of multiple days and ranges at the same time or not would dependent on implementation difficulty. Keeping them mutually exclusive would allow you to use a right click action for “marking” days or ranges without the need to explain what the right click did. However if both selection modes were avilable, a double right click could be used for marking a single day and the single right click could be used to define ranges.

Anyways I’m probably rambling at this point. At the end of the day if there is anyone else out there who would like to see this feature can you point me to your threads /ideas. If you’re a power broker in the vaadin 7 world, want to let me know if there are plans to enhance calendar or if there is some way to slip someone a $20 bill to get something like this in?

Cheers,
Matt

No such changes are planned for Vaadin 7. In general, the focus for 7.0 is on necessary redesigns of more fundamental parts of the framework. Changes to specific components will instead be considered for 6.8 or 7.1 where more fundamental changes can not be included because their impact on backwards compatibility.

Regarding your feature suggestion, I don’t think it’s something that will be included in the Vaadin core in the foreseeable future. Multiple selection in calendars is quite tricky from a usability point of view - regular users are not used to using anything else than regular clicks when interacting with calendars. I don’t think the Vaadin core will include this kind of feature until such selection modes are more generally established. Until then, there’s of course nothing preventing anyone from making their own implementation and releasing it as an add-on.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to hold off on getting into deving my own add-ons, although I’m sure it isn’t that bad once you get going. I’ll probably just design the UI around this constraint for now.

Hi,

Is it possible to change the x-axis (days)and y-axis (time-marks) parameters in vaadin calendar .
For example in the day view of calendar addon, what we see is the day (Day name) on top and timings on the y-axis . Is it possible to change the day timings to user defined time scales?
And also can we add additonal columns to the day view of the calendar?