iPhone problem, iPad closer, Safari desktop fine

I’m a bit curious if anybody knows why my Vaadin app works just fine in Safari on the desktop, but limps and doesn’t really work well on the iPad, and just noted that the iPhone won’t even render my page (all looks okay in my app web logs, but I get a “Communication problem” on login that says: (SyntaxError): Parse error line: 1 sourceId: 126985984 - Original JSON-text: html PUBLIC “-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional/EN” “http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd”> – which of course is the first line of the vaadin html page).

I know the iPad/iPhone don’t have Safari, but isn’t it supposed to be close? On the iPad, I noted that buttons that open new windows won’t behave at all, and of course you can’t grab splitpanel dividers or the like. Is this sort of limitation something to be expected? I noted that my old JSP apps work fine, if not well sized, on the iPhone and iPad, but then they were hardly reliant on javascript at all.

Is there any way to make a Vaadin app work on the iPhone and iPad?

Does anybody know if similar problems occur on Android phones and pads?

Can TouchKit make a Vaadin app work on an iPhone and iPad? Will/does TouchKit support Android?

Thanks for any insights others may have.

TouchKit was made to give iOS support to Vaadin and I believe it supports android too seeing the supported platforms on
this page.

For the other problems, I can’t really help you, I haven’t yet done anything using Vaadin and iOS.

Thanks. I don’t see android mentioned on the page, like you suggested, so perhaps it’s not yet available.

Anybody else know what is so distinct about the iPhone and iPad versions of Safari that a regular Vaadin app can’t run? Clearly, it has a smaller screen on the iPhone. I noted that this isn’t universally true since there are evaluations that show how things work well, not so well, and not at all. I was surprised that my app would run on the iPad, but not very well, but received communications errors on the iPhone, showing that even those two versions of Safari are not compatible.

This is not a complaint about Vaadin, just wondering what Vaadin is doing/using (is it GWT?) that the mobile Safari cannot handle. Is it javascript or CSS or something else?

It is on the page, search for the text “Supported Platforms” and you will see the android robot which seems to indicate android compatibility.
There are several chapters on the book for mobile platforms,
this one
might answer some of your questions.

Note that there is not only big differences between iPhone and iPad, but also between iOS versions (like scrolling in 5 compared to 4)…