Grid vs widget with Vaadin 7.5.6

Hi,

I cannot upgrade my Vaadin version from 7.5.5 to 7.5.6 in my application.

My application works well

• Vaadin version is 7.5.5
  • I use a widget project containing charts.
  • I use grid component

AppWidgetSet.xml

<module>
    <inherits name="com.vaadin.addon.timeline.gwt.TimelineWidgetSet" />

<inherits name="com.vaadin.addon.charts.Widgetset" />

<inherits name="com.vaadin.DefaultWidgetSet" />
</module>

After Vaadin upgrade (to 7.5.6), grid display generates errors. This error freeze my vaadin application and I have to restart Firefox.
There is no error in my server log but in Firefox I can find one:

Mon Sep 28 10:12:06 GMT+200 2015 com.vaadin.client.ApplicationConfiguration SEVERE: (TypeError) : this.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid$Sidebar_content is undefinedcom.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError) : this.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid$Sidebar_content is undefined at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid$Sidebar_isOpen__Z(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid$Sidebar_setEnabled__ZV(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid$Sidebar_Grid$Sidebar__Lcom_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid_$init__V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid_Grid__V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_metadata_ConnectorBundleLoaderImpl$1$1$128_invoke__Ljava_lang_Object_2_3Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_metadata_Type_createInstance__Ljava_lang_Object_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ui_AbstractComponentConnector_createWidget__Lcom_google_gwt_user_client_ui_Widget_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ui_AbstractComponentConnector_getWidget__Lcom_google_gwt_user_client_ui_Widget_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_connectors_GridConnector_getWidget__Lcom_vaadin_client_widgets_Grid_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_connectors_GridConnector_getWidget__Lcom_google_gwt_user_client_ui_Widget_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ui_gridlayout_GridLayoutConnector_updateCaption__Lcom_vaadin_client_ComponentConnector_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection$10_updateCaptions__Lcom_vaadin_client_JsArrayObject_2Lcom_vaadin_client_FastStringSet_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection$10_execute__V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConfiguration_runWhenDependenciesLoaded__Lcom_google_gwt_user_client_Command_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection_handleUIDLMessage__Ljava_util_Date_2Ljava_lang_String_2Lcom_vaadin_client_ValueMap_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection_handleReceivedJSONMessage__Ljava_util_Date_2Ljava_lang_String_2Lcom_vaadin_client_ValueMap_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection_handleJSONText__Ljava_lang_String_2IV(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_vaadin_client_ApplicationConnection$6_onResponseReceived__Lcom_google_gwt_http_client_Request_2Lcom_google_gwt_http_client_Response_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_google_gwt_http_client_Request_fireOnResponseReceived__Lcom_google_gwt_http_client_RequestCallback_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_google_gwt_http_client_RequestBuilder$1_onReadyStateChange__Lcom_google_gwt_xhr_client_XMLHttpRequest_2V(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.onreadystatechange<(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_google_gwt_core_client_impl_Impl_apply__Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_google_gwt_core_client_impl_Impl_entry0__Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2Ljava_lang_Object_2(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.com_google_gwt_core_client_impl_Impl_entry__Lcom_google_gwt_core_client_JavaScriptObject_2Lcom_google_gwt_core_client_JavaScriptObject_2/<(com.gemalto.ics.dc.gabnrsv2.central.AppWidgetset-0.js) at Unknown.anonymous(Unknown) Arnaud

Same here, Chrome reports:

SEVERE: (TypeError) : Cannot read property ‘getParent_7_g$’ of undefinedcom.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError) : Cannot read property ‘getParent_7_g$’ of undefined

Can confirm, navigating to view with grid+sidebar freezes application completely.
Issue will be fixed in 7.5.7:
https://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/18965

Good news,
Thanks Michal.

Vaadin 7.5.7 was released and my Vaadin application no longer freezes - but now the sidebar is disabled.
I don’t use the enabled property of the grid in my application. For testing purposes, I have switch the grid to disabled and back to enabled. But this had no effect.
Did the sidebar menu in vaadin 7.5.7 work for you?

Oliver

You are right, we thought that version 7.5.7 fixed the problem with grid but now I see that the sidebar is disabled.

I have create a new ticket #19109 for this.

Hi,

I’m just testing and verifying this bug. For some reason we haven’t seen this in the framwork tests without using the superdevmode, so it came as a bit of a surprise that it still didn’t work. This is most likely already fixed in the latest 7.6-SNAPSHOT and the fix could still be picked for 7.5.8.

//Teemu

I started a basic UI with a hidable column in Grid. In 7.5.7 it works as I’d expect. If I enable the SuperDevMode it stops working.

Can you tell me if you are using a self compiled widgetset and have you remembered to update the theme and widgetset after version update? What OS and Java version you are using? This information will help us narrow down why it was broken so we can avoid these in the future.

//Teemu

Hi,

I’m not sure, if I’m using the SuperDevMode. In my WidgetSet.gwt.xml I found a devModeRedirectEnabled=true entry. But deleting this entry and making a maven clean install doesn’t help.

Friday I have try to reproduce the error with a new application based on the maven archetype “vaadin-archetype-application”. It works perfect.
Today I do the same with the archetype “vaadin-archetype-application-multimodule” (where my application is based on) and I can reproduce the error.

The content of MyAppWidgetset.gwt.xml in both projects is the same.
How can I enable or disable the SuperDevMode and is there a way to detect the SuperDevMode?

Oliver

By try and error I’ve found a way to solve my problem. It depends on the “draftCompile” property of the vaadin-maven-plugin.

If it is set to “true” the sidebar menu is disabled, changing it to “false” and it works.

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

This is interesting information. We’ll see how we could include this into our testing to prevent these kinds of issues in the future. There is a patch for the ticket going on to 7.5.8, hopefully everything will work after that even with the draft compile! Thank you for testing it.

//Teemu