Possible to use GXT widgets in vaadin?

Is it possible to use gxt widgets in vaadin?

I tried vaadin recently and found much potential in it however, I already almost recoded my old workflow program to use the gxt framework because of the widgets it has.

I am not really a UI programmer but the work here is making me do that anyways so existing widgets help a lot.

I have been trying to integrate a GXT 3.0 widget but I fail. It would be nice to have some info from the vaadin developers about it.

GXT 3.0 should make it quite a bit easier to use their widgets in Vaadin.

Here is a simple test with Vaadin 7
http://artur.virtuallypreinstalled.com/SenchaVaadin
. But you should be able to do the same thing in Vaadin 6 as well.

Thank you for the demo Joonas. I have been trying to integrate a GXT 3.0 widget but I fail. Since it is possible to use GXT widgets in Vaadin then it must be my fault. I don’t know if it is appropriate to ask it in this forum but a tutorial on how this integration can be achived would be highly appreciated.

For anyone trying to accomplish this task this is the thing that worked for me.

For example if you want to integrate the MenuBarExample from GXT demos then do this in Vaadin.

public class GXTMenuBarExample extends Composite implements IsWidget {

public GXTMenuBarExample(){

initWidget(asWidget());
}

public Widget asWidget() {

}
}

Then create the VMenuBarExample class that will extend GXTMenuBarExample and implement Paintable.

You will need also the server side class MenuBarExample that will extend AbstractComponent and so on.

This solution worked for me.

Joonas, I think I’ll give the GXT-widget-in-a-Vaadin-app a try. Is the code for the SenchaVaadin app available on this forum somewhere?

See
https://github.com/R2R/GXTVaadin

Unfortunately, this project does not contain an Ant buildfile or Maven POM, so it’s still unclear to me what needs to be done to get things going.

I have tried to use the GXT Widgetset like this:

But when I try to start the application, I get the following error:

Loading modules
com.secondfloor.core.ui.GXTWidgetSet
Loading inherited module ‘com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.DefaultWidgetSet’
Loading inherited module ‘com.vaadin.DefaultWidgetSet’
Loading inherited module ‘com.vaadin.Vaadin’
[ERROR]
Unable to load class ‘com.vaadin.server.widgetsetutils.AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator’
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vaadin.server.widgetsetutils.AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator

(Which after inspection make sense, since the ‘AcceptCriteriaFactoryGenerator’ is part of ‘vaadin-client-compiler’, which is currently not in my classpath.

So my question is:

Which steps do I need to perform to get GXT (or other GWT widgets) up and running in Vaadin?
Do I need to compile them upfront (e.g. using Ant buildfile or using IDE plugin) ?
Which classes do I need to provide (currently I have a GXTxxx, GXTxxxState and GXTxxxConnector, is that sufficient?)

Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, I’m currently using Vaadin 7.0.0.beta6)

Barry

Hi, the url is not working and I was not able to find any other resource than this entry. Any more help to integrate GXT with Vaading would be great.

Thanks