Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Introducing the Vaadin Screensaver

Fredrik Rönnlund
1 decade ago Jan 18, 2010 6:15pm

Cheers everyone!

We all agree that Vaadin is awesome - it makes it super-easy to create enterprisey applications that look good and make you and your users happy..(does it really make you happy though?)

Anyway, one thing has been missing from Vaadin since the dawn of time. One thing that no self-respecting-enterprise application can live without even after it has been ported to the web. And that 'something' is a kick-ass-sweet-screensaver! A screensaver can make your life so much happier - so here it is:

Test it live here running on top of the 5-minute tutorial to Vaadin with a 5 second timeout (so be patient):
ScreenSaver.BLANK
ScreenSaver.STARFIELD
ScreenSaver.MOVINGTEXT
ScreenSaver.SNOWSCAPE
ScreenSaver.MATRIX

Not only that, but it's also super-easy to use:
1. Download the project JAR (and gwt-graphics) => To be added as one download in the forthcoming Vaadin Directory. But until then see the README.TXT in the SVN.
2. Write your 3 lines of code:

//Create a screensaver of your choice, add timeout and BOOM, you're done.
ScreenSaver screensaver = new ScreenSaver(ScreenSaver.SNOWSCAPE);
screensaver.setTimeout(5000);
getMainWindow().addComponent(screensaver);

3. Profit!

As for the sourcecode, feel free to poke around: http://dev.vaadin.com/browser/contrib/Screensaver and make your changes or contact me directly.

The screensaver uses Hene's gwt-graphics library to produce browser independent SVG/MVG vector graphics and it's really easy to use and extend. Fancy writing your own screensaver? See the README.TXT in the project for 3 easy steps!

As I'm writing this the Screensaver is at version 0.9.0 which means that it works, but it probably has a few glitches. (And with a few, I mean more than a few... actually I'm not sure it i.e. works in IE at all!). Also I'm looking forward to adding your awesome screensavers to the project soon... and who knows, I might even create my own Vaadin screensaver directory one day with downloadable Vaadin/GWT Screensavers! ;)

Now stop reading and see what your app will look like with a little bit of snow or the cheap-ass-matrix-clone!

Last updated on Jan, 18th 2010
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Jan 18, 2010 7:22pm
Fredrik Rönnlund
1 decade ago Jan 18, 2010 7:42pm
Jens Jansson
1 decade ago Jan 19, 2010 6:15am
Sami Ekblad
1 decade ago Jan 19, 2010 7:08am
Fredrik Rönnlund
1 decade ago Jan 19, 2010 11:39am
Dmitri Livotov