Failed to load the widgetset on Vaadin 7.5.0

Hi there,
upgrading to Vaadin 7.5.0 I’m getting the following clientside error: “Failed to load the widgetset defaultwidgetset.nocache”.

The only solution, until now, was to downgrade to Vaadin 7.4.8.

Any suggestions? Please help, thanks.

Hi,

This might be related to the recent change that automatically uses gzip on your widgetset and tries to serve it directly to clients that accept said format. However there is a known issue with some filters providing the same compression, causing the widgetset to be compressed twice. Please check, that you don’t have any said filters in use. If there are none and the problem persists, then it needs to be investigated a bit further.

//Teemu

Thank you Teemu!
I removed the gzip filter I defined and it worked :slight_smile:

Carmelo, did you happen to use ehcache GzipFilter? It is very low level so it doesn’t check for already gzipped content. Check this article:

https://vaadin.com/web/matti/blog/-/blogs/about-compression-again

You can still use it for “UIDL” (vaadin state changes) payload.

cheers,
matti

Hi Matti,
yes I used EhCache GzipFilter, with this config on web.xml:

<filter>
        <filter-name>CompressionFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>net.sf.ehcache.constructs.web.filter.GzipFilter</filter-class>
    </filter>

<filter-mapping>
        <url-pattern>*.css</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>
    <filter-mapping>
        <url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>
    <filter-mapping>
        <url-pattern>*.js</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>
    <filter-mapping>
        <url-pattern>/UIDL/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

Yep, exactly like I expected. The best way to fix the limitation in ehcache GzipFilter is just to remove all other mappings but UIDL. If you have custom theme you might also want to add a step into your build script that makes .gz files of your css stuff as well. Or alternatively, use another filter, like the one provided by jetty team, that can properly handle already gzipped stuff.

cheers,
matti

What if I remove it completely? :slight_smile:

Depends a bit about your application. The renewals in 7.5 will keep serving gzipped stuff for built in themes and widgetsets, but if your application has lots of content (e.g. shows large data sets on screen with Table/Grid), I’m pretty sure it would still aid quite a lot from compressing the stuff from “/UIDL/*”.

cheers,
matti