Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Vaadin platform evaluation

Clay Selby
1 decade ago Dec 28, 2011 9:47pm
Matti Tahvonen
1 decade ago Dec 29, 2011 9:41am

Hi,

TouchKit is not just about iOS inspired UI components although they may be the most visible part in our demo and website. It e.g. allows you to configure "viewport" settings that are essential when you want to build good UIs. And it also do allow you to query the location from the device (aka GPS).

Have you checked the Vornitologist demo and its tutorial. It e.g. discusses that geolocation API that you brought up.
http://demo.vaadin.com/vornitologist/VAADIN/tutorial/touchkit-tutorial.html

Your idea of wrapping Vaadin app to a web view of a native app to gain more "native access" isn't actually new. It is been discussed several times, but I don't know anybody who had actually done this. There is also one masters thesis that is supposed discuss and experiment this area starting early next year in our local university.

PhoneGap would most likely be the best tool to do that. I have reviewed some of the feature this kind of integration would gain, but I gotta say I wasn't that exited. Notifications and contacts access would be the best features that this solution would make possible. Also camera access on iOS would be a big plus form some apps. On Android one can use standard file upload, but for some reason Apple has not chosen to support file upload with web apps, even for photos only. I'd be surprised if this is not "fixed" soon.

cheers,
matti

Clay Selby
1 decade ago Dec 29, 2011 4:34pm
Matti Tahvonen
1 decade ago Jan 17, 2012 7:12am