When is vaadin 6 going to be on the official Maven repos ?

Any roadmaps on when vaadin 6 going to be on the official Maven repos ?

I’ll definitely be happy to see Vaadin in the Maven Central Repository too! It looks like it’s been proposed for some time this year (see the
roadmap
), and it’s been reported in the
issue tracker
. Unfortunately it turns out that there are
lots of hoops to jump through
before Maven will let you upload to their repository…

Actually it’s not that big step anymore as explained in
Sonatype Blog

But it might be a big bang if Vaadin guys change their project layouts to maven2. Now I only see one source directory where is a lot of stuff that really don’t belong to vaadin jar. Of course short way could be only create minimal pom.xml and upload that with jar to Sonatype repository.

But long term solution should be really that they change their projects to maven layout. But I’m not sure are they willing to do that.

Nowadays maven2 even works a quite well so it should to take a consideration at least. This was not a case like two years ago.

There are two separate issues here: making Vaadin usable in other projects via Maven, and building Vaadin itself with Maven.

We are working on the first issue: publishing Vaadin releases and archetype(s) in a central repository, probably on Sonatype (
Add Vaadin to central Maven repository
). For now, we are planning to publish JARs created with our current build process.

While we have considered
building Vaadin with Maven
, it is not being pursued actively at the moment. We may come back to this in the future.

The 6.0.x Vaadin releases and a sample archetype are now in the central Maven repositories or being replicated to them.

Vaadin nightly builds are available from http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/vaadin-snapshots/ .

Great!

How about writing a short step-by-step blog on “How to start a vaadin -based project with Maven?” and post it to Vaadin blog? Please.

• Joonas

Here is my one-line version:
mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.vaadin -DarchetypeArtifactId=vaadin-archetype-sample -DarchetypeVersion=1.0.2 -Dpackaging=war

I am not able to find the source jars for any of the artifacts at: http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/vaadin-snapshots//com/vaadin/vaadin/.

Any idea?

Maybe you mistyped the URL - they are there:
http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/vaadin-snapshots/com/vaadin/vaadin/

The reason source and javadoc JARs are not available is unfortunately that they are not built. The main Vaadin JAR does contain the source code.

Maven source and javadoc JAR building, signing and publishing depends on the project itself being built with Maven, which is not the case with the vaadin JAR. It would probably be possible to do the necessary steps with another build system, which would require more work but would be useful for the Maven users.

The relevant tickets are
and

Thank you Henri. With the Intellij update for 9.0.1 I have a feature to “Attach the sources” along with “Download the sources” (to local Maven repo). This “Attach the sources” feature is great to deal with this situation because I can do the svn co of the sources (associated with Vaadin dependency I have) and point Intellij to that. Works around this problem!

Thank you, again.

-Kedar