When can we expect to get rid of Internet Explorer 6?

The current situation is something like this:

Now it is unrealistic to think of dropping IE6 support for foreseeable future. That said, then do you think that you would not need IE6 support in your applications anymore?

I don’t think that chart accounts for intranet usage at all, so it’s pretty impossible to base any arguments on that.

But anyhow, the “Immediately” option tempted my cursor quite a bit, but I fell for 2010 after all. Two years maybe a little bit too optimistic, but maybe.

So after we can drop IE6 support we can start waiting for users to ditch IE7 :slight_smile:

That is definitly true - but has anyone seen any real data on “what browsers are used in corporate intranets”?

And on the other hand - people are also building internet-apps and thus IE6 might be a valid requirement as long as it widely used on internet.

I have no data on this account, but I’d say that enterprises, which are where a bunch of toolkit products are used, are the last ones migrating to new browsers. This due to the fact that the old software works, switching over to a new version will cause problems and calls to the tech department. So my view is that the charts, which reflects the market as a whole, gives a way too optimistic view of toolkit users. Therefore, in my opinion, ie6 support has to be around for 2+ years.

I am doing codebase which is currently used for two major projects targeted for Finnish communal sector. Neither requires IE6. They require IE7 (IE8 when it’s out). For those happy users that have IE6 must upgrade to IE7 or start using Firefox.

[quote]
I am doing codebase which is currently used for two major projects targeted for Finnish communal sector. Neither requires IE6. They require IE7 (IE8 when it’s out). For those happy users that have IE6 must upgrade to IE7 or start using Firefox.
[/quote]Wow, that sound amazing! I wish we’d all be so lucky :slight_smile: