Vornitologist Oooops...Browsers

Ooops…
You accessed Vornitologist with a browser that is not supported. Vornitologist is ment to be used with modern webkit based mobile browsers, e.g. with iPhone. Curretly those cover huge majority of actively used mobile browsers. Support will be extended as other mobile browsers develop and gain popularity. Testing ought to work with desktop Safari or Chrome as well

[size=5]
To use the browser Internet Explorer Vornitologist the example does not work with modern webkit, so Microsoft has no technology to support mobile webkit vaadin

thank you
[/size]

That’s right; TouchKit is only supported on Webkit-based browsers (Chrome, Safari, Android). We are looking into supporting IE10 as well, but no concrete plans as of yet…

[size=5]
Mattsson , Thanks for responding

This confude development plan about what HTML5 is, since the framework vaadin RIA is an application with a browser iterate, do not question the company’s advertising strategy, but opened the doors for iOS5 is not opening the doors of the tablet surf Microsoft, the mobile webkit should serve as cross-platform and cross-browser, the idea of ​​the Java virtual machine is to be.
[/size]

I agree that Vaadin should work on all browsers, but TouchKit is built on features that only exist in WebKit. At the time TouchKit was developed, the only viable mobile browser was the one in iOS, with Android coming a distant second. Nowadays Android has caught up, and even Microsoft is getting into the game. The problem we have is just that Microsoft happened to build their browser on a completely different technology than the others, which makes our job considerably more tricky. Especially since we can’t break any existing applications with a new version of TouchKit…

The difficulty for Microsoft is that Webkit-oriented developers have very little incentive to do extra work that might benefit Microsoft’s browser.
Webkit gets them 90-plus percent of their target markets now. IE10 is not even a blip on the chart as yet.
I don’t know if anyone at Microsoft is humbled by this reversal in the company’s fortunes. They ought to be.

http://developinthecloud.drdobbs.com/author.asp?section_id=2247&doc_id=254598&

[size=5]
Gentlemen,
Thanks for responding

I believe there is a paradigm for architecture and specification of standards, however, the W3C defines the language that is interoperable HTML5 technologies that must work in different browser vendors, the app’s API of the Surfaces, is common to this technology, but the basis of the Microsoft VM is not byte-code, and do not know what the magic to transform the vaadin java code in RIA.

thank you
[/size]

If you read the article Thomas pointed to or some on many others, it is clear that browsers do behave differently and customizations need to be done for each browser. If all browsers mostly follow standards, it is easier than if they don’t, but there are many things you cannot do if you only use the things already covered by standards. This is especially the case in new fields (like touch support) and if one needs to support old browsers.

In addition, there are many, many browser bugs and particularities and different ways they interpret standards etc. In practice, a lot of work is needed for each supported browser. Vaadin tries to do a big part of the work on behalf of the application developer where it can, but also the application developer always needs to test applications on all the platforms to support and make customizations.

Vaadin client side Java code is translated to JavaScript using GWT (Google Web Toolkit). See the
architecture chapter
in the Book of Vaadin or e.g.
this short blog post (em português)

Sara, My Dear, thanks for watching and questioning

I’m doing a battery of tests, and implications ranging from Java virtual machine jre 7, maven, misalignment with gwt.xml to launch applications in vaadin with invocations to the Eclipse web browser to be compatible with other browsers internally, for debug build is slow to 32-bit machines, I’m using Core 2 Duo Ram 4giga. Fact that the design of the java code for the framework vaadin maven accepted and faithfully produces the RIA component in broswer, however the design of the project suffers from lack of synchronization providers so that the solution has better compatibility each solution has its webkit (Google Chrome , Safari, IE8, IE9) in the example mobile TouchKit crash with GWT firefox plugins and processor architectures in the framework 64bits. I think have a version control consortium to promote technology jointly serving suppliers to Vaadin, married licenses.

I don’t really understand most of what you are writing so I am guessing based on some key words and phrases.
You would probably get better answers on some general Java forum in Portuguese.

• You are trying to influence policy (e.g. decision on which browsers to support) in a technical thread. That way, you probably don’t get good answers on either policy or technical questions.
  • WebKit is the engine used by Chrome and Safari. Different IE versions have different engines, but they are not WebKit.
  • Supporting a different engine or even just a different version takes a lot of work. Supporting a new browser in a framework that tries to hide browser differences takes 10-100 times as much work as supporting that same browser in just one application with custom solutions for that application.
  • If I guess correctly, you are complaining that the compilation with Maven is slow. If it is really slow, you are probably compiling the widgetset every time you are running Maven. That is usually unnecessary. The widgetset only needs to be compiled when you have added/removed add-ons or custom client side code. To do that, the GWT and/or Vaadin plug-in(s) should be moved out of the normal build section into a pluginManagement section and then run with “mvn vaadin:update-widgetset gwt:compile” (Vaadin 6) or “mvn vaadin:update-widgetset vaadin:compile” (Vaadin 7).

[size=5]
Sara Obrigado, por responder !

Temos o navegador Google Chrome assim como temos o Android SO para apps que utilizam GWT, temos uma comunidade Google Play Apps a terem uma experiencia RIA (Engenharia e serviço de uma mesma empresa a Google) , assim como temos o navegador Safari como temos o IOS5 SO  em um padrão Unix, e uma linguaguem Objective C nas construções de Apps para uso de dispositivos moveis iPhone, iPad.
     A Apple  tem uma comunidade forte no site da iTunes um universo de aplicativos apps (Engenharia de uma mesma empresa a Apple). 

A Microsoft temos o Browser Internet Explorer 10 compativel com HTML5 cross-browser e seu novo hardware o tablet surface, posso usar java nesse tablet :veja o universo de tecnologias: Developer Languages C#, VB, C/C++, Java, F#, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Haskell and any other language you can use for Windows 7 dev, maiores informações no site: http://www.infragistics.com/community/blogs/nick-landry/archive/2012/06/19/developing-apps-for-microsoft-surface-windows-8-windows-rt-and-windows-phone.aspx.

Vaadin torna possivel o uso de codigo Java(Open Source) a ter um uma experiencia em RIA (desburocratizada o que é muito bom). 

Sobre o Java, podemos usar aplicação o projeto maven para o tipo de arquitetura a usar para serviços de conteiner J2EE que vão consumir e externalizar essa dinamica via HTML, desse codigo java que atua em cenários legados swing/Abstract Window Toolkit agora em base do designer vaadin framework vão produzir uma experiencia em RIA sim, vão, questiono mas elas estão alinhadas de forma a Vaadin ser um HTML5 ? , a ser um consorcio a entenderem  a todos os fornecedores ? , acredito que ainda estejam em fase de maturidade para os conceitos orientados a aplicativos e cenários totalmente web metaprogamavel  e não legados.

[/size]

I hope I understand better now, although I don’t speak Portuguese… This forum is meant to be in English, so you might ask on some Portuguese Java forum where there are users of Vaadin.

There is a fundamental difference between native applications (written in a phone OS specific way in a specific programming language, running on the phone) and internet applications (both simple page-based applications).

RIA means “rich internet application” and in many cases, like with Vaadin, does not rely on any native code on the phone except the browser. The Vaadin application runs in a Java virtual machine on the server. The browser on the phone just loads and runs some JavaScript and then that client side part communicates with the server to display widgets etc. (There are also other kinds of RIA frameworks that depend on plug-ins on the client, like Flash.)

The general way of programming a Vaadin application is similar to programming an AWT or Swing or SWT application, but Vaadin does not support those technologies. Instead, you use Vaadin components (which are similar to those of Swing), Vaadin listeners etc. on the server. The framework then takes care of displaying them on the browser.

Vaadin uses some “HTML5” features of browsers, but HTML5 is not only one thing - it is a loose collection of separate standards that live independently of each other, and different versions of different browsers support different versions and parts of those standards. It is in many ways misleading that the “5” in HTML5 looks like a version number - it isn’t really and never will be.

Vaadin is a framework that supports the browsers that have a major market share and do not excessively complicate the work for developing the framework or limit the framework. There is no guarantee that the favorite browser of user X will ever be supported, nor when. Vaadin is not associated with Apple, Google or the other companies, except in using Google Web Toolkit and being active in developing it.

Google Web Toolkit is developed completely separately from e.g. Chrome and Android and is not in any way related to native apps on phones etc. The browsers Vaadin can support depend on the browsers that GWT supports.

[size=5]
Sara, Obrigado mas uma vez , pela gentileza da respostas, alias muito bem colocada !

É bom saber, que ler em português você sabe, eu falo Inglês fluentemente mas talvez não escreva tão bem, mas acho que vou me canditadar pra trabalhar com vocês, fazer parte desse time seleto Vaadin Company, imagina eu e você na mesma empresa , vamos ser imbatíveis.

Abraçosss :vader:

[/size]