Vaadin without CSS (Widgetset does not match theme version)

Hello,

When I lauch my Vaadin application, vaadin console displays :

“Widget set is built on version: 6.3.3
Application version: NONVERSIONED
Warning: widgetset version 6.3.3 does not seem to match theme version”

and no css is used.

Do you know why ?

Thank you.

There is probably a version conflict. Possibilities include:

• If you have earlier extracted the themes or widgetsets from the Jar to the [tt]
    VAADIN
    [/tt] directory, re-extract them from the new Jar. Better yet, remove them from the [tt]
    VAADIN
    [/tt] directory altogether and only extract them in a production environment, if even then necessary.
  • If you have not extracted the themes or widgetsets, refresh the Eclipse (or whatever IDE you are using) project by selecting the project folder and pressing F5, clean server caches (right-click server in Servers view), restart server, etc. Do this after everything if you experience almost any problems.
  • If you have compiled a widgetset (check out [tt]
    VAADIN/widgetsets
    [/tt]), either:[list]
  • recompile it by clicking the Compile Widgetset button in the Eclipse toolbar or
  • remove it if you don’t need it (from the [tt]
    VAADIN/widgetsets
    [/tt] directory and from web.xml).

[/list]If possible, check (with Firebug’s Net tab) that all the [tt]
styles.css
[/tt] files are found properly. Also check what widget set is used. You should use the DefaultWidgetSet (Portal- for portals), unless you use your own custom widget set or a widget set from an add-on.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I did not do this, I’m a Vaadin begginer.

I did it, but the problem is still here.

I don’t know what is a widgetset but Vaadin Eclipse plugin always ask me to recompile my project. I let it recompile but the problem is still here.

The only css detected is :

html, body {
height:100%;
margin:0;
}

I don’t know what I can do. I think the problem comes when I changed Vaadin 6.3.1 to 6.3.3 (Project > Properties > Vaadin).

I don’t know what to do :S

If you haven’t installed any add-on components or do not have custom widgets, compiling the widget sets is not necessary. Disable the compilation from project settings and remove the folders from under the [tt]
VAADIN/widgetsets
[/tt] folder. Also edit [tt]
WEB-INF/web.xml
[/tt] to disable the widget set and delete the generated [tt]
widgetset
[/tt] folder from under your project source folder.

See the section
11.14.5. Removing Widget Sets
in
upcoming version of the Book
(click the “downloading” link).

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I used PasswordField, but I converted it in TextField. I deleted PasswordField jar in order to avoid widgetset use.

I disabled auto compilation in my Vaadin Project settings, I removed VAADIN/widgetsets folder, I removed widgetset instruction in web.xml and I deleted widgetset package in src folder.

However, I still have this error in web console :
Warning: widgetset version 6.3.3 does not seem to match theme version
inserting load indicator
Making UIDL Request with params: init
Server visit took 162ms
Assuming CSS loading is not complete, postponing render phase. (.v-loading-indicator height == 0)

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I’ve tried a lot of things already like, refreshing eclipse, cleaning tomcat directory, explicitly added a “/themes/reinder & themes/calendar” directory with their respective stylesheets I’ve taken from the repository, and updated my vaadin lib to the latest(nightly). All this didn’t fix the problem.

I’m using the calendar addon and when I call setTheme(“calendar”) it throws errors(I’ll show below, client-side?). The calendar addon stylesheet does not import the default stylesheet (reindeer), so I’ve tried added an import but still it doesnt fix any issue. It seems that the browser has a problem loading styles.css(I’ll show js log below). I need to use the calendar stylesheet as the default stylesheet doesn’t look good with the calendar addon.

Here are the logs, I hope somebody could identify the root cause of this problem.

Google Chrome JS console:

Vaadin application servlet version: 6.4.0.nightly-20100612-c13652
Widget set is built on version: 6.4.0.nightly-20100612-c13652
inserting load indicator
Server visit took 811ms
Assuming CSS loading is not complete, postponing render phase. (.v-loading-indicator height == 0)
JSON parsing took 0ms
CSS files may have not loaded properly.
Array
Running layout functions due window resize
Processing time was 7387ms for 1690 characters of JSON
Referenced paintables: 2
Removed variable from removed component: PID0

Enabling /?debug:

Vaadin application servlet version: 6.4.0.nightly-20100612-c13652
Widget set is built on version: 6.4.0.nightly-20100612-c13652
Warning: widgetset version 6.4.0.nightly-20100612-c13652 does not seem to match theme version
inserting load indicator
Server visit took 811ms
JSON parsing took 0ms
CSS files may have not loaded properly.

change

Running layout functions due window resize
Processing time was 7387ms for 1690 characters of JSON
Referenced paintables: 2

By the way, what is the order of priority on what resources to load first? Is the dynamic resources(bundled in jar) loaded first or th static ones(static folders)?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :wacko:

Hello,

Did you resolve it ?

No idea ?

This should be fixed in the next version of the Calendar add-on which we hopefully get to the Directory today. The theme in the old Calendar (0.5.1) is made so that you have to create your own theme and inherit both Reindeer (the default theme) and the calendar theme. In the upcoming version the theme is correctly integrated into the widgetset and you do not have to use a custom theme to make it work.

So much text in this thread so let my just make a few guesses:

1. You are setting a theme using setTheme(“abc”) and the theme “abc” does not exist
  2. You are not mapping /* in web.xml to the servlet and thus the theme cannot be loaded
  3. There is a problem with syncing the workspace with Tomcat

What you should see if you look at the problem with Firebug is a tag like

where "reindeer" is the name of the theme (possibly) set using setTheme()

If you open the link in the browser you should see the CSS style sheet. If you do not, there is a deployment problem.

If you cannot get it to work, try to create a new project using the Eclipse plugin and see how it differs from your current project.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your update about the Calendar widget. :grin:

Yes, I use setTheme(“reindeer”);, but if I comment this line, I have the same behaviour !

My web.xml contains :

<servlet>
  	<servlet-name>Rmv Application</servlet-name>
  	<servlet-class>com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ApplicationServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <description>Vaadin application class to start</description>
      <param-name>application</param-name>
      <param-value>com.rm.rmv.MainApplication</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
    	<description>
    	Application widgetset</description>
    	<param-name>widgetset</param-name>
    	<param-value>com.rm.rmv.widgetset.RmvWidgetset</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
  	<servlet-name>Rmv Application</servlet-name>
  	<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

I have not a link tag in rendered html but Javascript :

stylesheet.setAttribute('href', '/RMV/VAADIN/themes/reindeer/styles.css');

http://localhost:8080/RMV/VAADIN/themes/reindeer/styles.css displays my own CSS (in reeinder directory), not Vaadin CSS, is it normal ?

So you have created your own theme and named it “reindeer”, exactly as the default theme? Won’t work as you then cannot include the reindeer from the Vaadin jar. Rename your theme to something else.

I needed to add my own additional CSS style and images so I created “VAADIN/themes/reindeer” directory.
I added into it a short style.css and images.

I thought it’s a wrong way ?

Yes, that is a wrong way. Remove the [tt]
themes/reindeer
[/tt] folder from your project.

To make custom CSS styles (a theme), you create a folder such as “[tt]
VAADIN/themes/mytheme
[/tt]” and in it the [tt]
styles.css
[/tt] file. In the beginning, you must inherit the built-in theme:

@import "../reindeer/styles.css";

After that, you can add any custom CSS. You need to enable the custom theme with [tt]
setTheme(“mytheme”)
[/tt] in your application.

See the section
Creating and Using Themes
in the Book.

Thank you so much, it works !

I have the same issue. I created a custom theme under VAADIN/themes/mytheme. In the styles.css I have this :

@import "../reindeer/styles.css";
/*!
 * Bootswatch v3.1.1
 * Homepage: http://bootswatch.com
 * Copyright 2012-2014 Thomas Park
 * Licensed under MIT
 * Based on Bootstrap
*/
/*! normalize.css v3.0.0 | MIT License | git.io/normalize */
html {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  -ms-text-size-adjust: 100%;
  -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;
}
body {
  margin: 0;
}
article,
aside,
details,
figcaption,
figure,
footer,
header,
hgroup,
main,
nav,
section,
summary {
  display: block;
}

after I run the application, it takes a lot of time to show the first page. When I looked into the console in firebug this is what I got :

[code]

GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Assuming CSS loading is not complete, postponing render phase. (.v-loading-indicator height == 0) 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Assuming CSS loading is not complete, postponing render phase. (.v-loading-indicator height == 0) 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Handling message from server 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Handling resources from server 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Handling type inheritance map from server 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Handling type mappings from server 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Handling resource dependencies 0.js:209 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole SEVERE: CSS files may have not loaded properly. 0.js:209Resource interpreted as Document but transferred with MIME type text/javascript: "http://localhost:8083/alfredine/VAADIN/themes/bootstrap/js/jquery.min.js".Uncaught Error: Bootstrap requires jQuery bootstrap.min.js:7 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Loading widgets completed: 79 ms 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Handling meta information 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Creating connectors (if needed) 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Updating connector states 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Handling locales 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Updating connector hierarchy 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Sending hierarchy change events 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Running @DelegateToWidget 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Sending state change events 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Passing UIDL to Vaadin 6 style connectors 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Performing server to client RPC calls 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: * Unregistered 0 connectors 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: handleUIDLMessage: 49 ms 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Starting layout phase 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Measured 0 non connector elements 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Pass 1 measured 3 elements, fired 0 listeners and did 1 layouts. 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Pass 2 measured 1 elements, fired 0 listeners and did 0 layouts. 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Did overflow fix for 1 elements 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Pass 3 measured 1 elements, fired 0 listeners and did 0 layouts. 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: No more changes in pass 4 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Total layout phase time: 157ms 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Processing time was 317ms for 63853 characters of JSON 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Referenced paintables: 3 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Starting layout phase 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Measured 0 non connector elements 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Pass 1 measured 1 elements, fired 0 listeners and did 0 layouts. 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: No more changes in pass 2 0.js:209
 GMT+200 2014 com.vaadin.client.VConsole INFO: Total layout phase time: 3ms

[/code]It says that the CSS loading is not complete. Is there anything that I missed ? Help !