Sessions and serialization

Hi!

I’d like to learn more on how application state is persisted to user session. When I look at the source code, I see that Application, WebApplicationContext, SessionBindingListener, variable map and WebBrowser are put to session.

Have you experience on running the toolkit in an application server cluster? If so, were there any problems with distributed sessions? In my experience, at least some servlet containers demand that session has only Serializable objects for the session persistence to work.

We’ll probably be using Terracotta Sessions for session clustering, so this is not a problem for us, but I’m just curious to know :wink:

regards,

Kaitsu

You are right, we need to get all session related objects implement java.io.Serializable. This is crucial enhancement for High Availability, scalability comes next even though Toolkit can handle vast amount of user interface transactions in a second.

For now we have postponed this task (for a long time), but I know we just need to get this fixed when someone really needs this.

[quote=Jani LaaksoYou are right, we need to get all session related objects implement java.io.Serializable. This is crucial enhancement for High Availability, scalability comes next even though Toolkit can handle vast amount of user interface transactions in a second.

For now we have postponed this task (for a long time), but I know we just need to get this fixed when someone really needs this./quote]

Just to dig this old thread up - I committed serialization support to SVN:
http://dev.itmill.com/changeset/7387

Any testers for using this for clustering purposes?

Nice job Joonas! You probably had a boring Easter, did you? :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Kai

Not at all - combination of all-night-coding and mämmi is fun :)

nice changeset, Joonas :slight_smile:

Im currently refactoring our application, this produces similar huge commits, and I do agree, night is the perfect time for such :wink:

High availability for Web Applications, here we come :slight_smile:

Did it come ? :stuck_out_tongue:
Do you see better than an Hazelcast (http://www.hazelcast.com/) add-on for bringing clustering web sessions ?