Refactoring Vaadin Project Does NOT Work?

Hi,

I tried refactoring (or renaming the project) created in Vaadin 7.5, but it does not work.

It throws this error:

Some projects fail to be resolved
Failed to configure Ivy for ivy.xml[widgetset-compile]
 in MySampleIntegrationProject_OldError while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[widgetset-compile]
 in 'MySampleIntegrationProject_Old':
  The Ivy settings path '${workspace_loc:MySampleIntegrationProject/ivysettings.xml}' is incorrect: Variable references non-existent resource : ${workspace_loc:MySampleIntegrationProject/ivysettings.xml}
Error while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[widgetset-compile]
  The Ivy settings path '${workspace_loc:MySampleIntegrationProject/ivysettings.xml}' is incorrect: Variable references non-existent resource : ${workspace_loc:MySampleIntegrationProject/ivysettings.xml}
Failed to configure Ivy for ivy.xml[nodeploy]
 in MySampleIntegrationProject_OldError while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[nodeploy]
Error while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[nodeploy]
Failed to configure Ivy for ivy.xml[default]
 in MySampleIntegrationProject_OldError while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[default]
Error while resolving the ivy instance for ivy.xml[default]

That’s not vaadin’s fault, it’s yours. I’m sure if you dig through one of the files (probably ivysettings.xml) you’ll see the old project name, MySampleIntegrationProject, instead of the new one, MySampleIntegrationProject_Old.

I’m not sure how you did the “refactor”, but something didn’t update one of the files that points to your new project name.

I’m in the same pickle. I refactored the Project name using Eclipse, but the only thing Eclipse doesn’t fix with a refactor is Ivy stuff. I’ve looked through
ivy.xml
and
ivysettings.xml
— There are no references to the project name (neither the new one nor the old one) anywhere in either file, so it must be stored elsewhere.

Does anyone have an idea where Ivy stores the project path so that I can change it?

Would it be easier to just create a new project, copy over the files and go from there?

Well, I guess in a normal circumstance it is easier to just rename the project, but in this case, where the refactor doesn’t work?

I’m sure that’s doable, @Dave, and if I don’t get an answer nor figure it out soon, I’ll do just that. I just have a gene in me that needs to know why things fail and how to fix them, I guess. ;~)

Found it!

Had to fix the three “Ivy” entries in the Project’s Build Path. It’s a little more complicated than can be posted in text form, so I’ll see if I can record a screengrab video and post it here for others to benefit who may be suffering from this problem.

Great, Chris! I have the same gene too, but I’m at the point where I realize I have to manage where I squander it :smiley:

Hi all,

Chris, how did you solve it? I have the same issue. I’d really appreciated

Thanks!

Because of the crappy company I work for, I’ve been told to put that project on hold for now, so it’ll be at least a week or two before I can launch Eclipse again and re-acquaint myself with the procedure I used so I can convey it to you. I’m sorry.

All I can remember right now is that you right-click on the project, choose “Project Settings” or something like that, and in the dialog that appears, Choose the category on the left that has to do with “Build Path Settings” or some such. Then you might see three entries that say “Ivy” in the list on the right. You have to manually edit each of them to fix them to what they should be. Maybe create a new project and look at its Build Path settings to see what the Ivy entries should be set to.

That’s all I remember. If I get a chance in the near future to delve back into it, I’ll try to remember to let you know.

Many thanks Chris!

While I tried to edit the 3 ivy configurations (default, widgetset-compile and nodeploy) my app turned to one branch ivy configuration (*) so what I did was to create another vaadin project from scractch using the wizard and copying the classpath from one to the other one (there is where vaadin displays the 3 branches showing in Eclipse). Everything seems to be ok now.

Regards

That actually sounds like what I did. Congrats! :~)

Chris,

IMHO making a “new” vaadin project is a comlete pain in the rear, especialy if you need lots of externay libraries, etc.

As to the root issue I do see that (after refactoring a working project say PRJ to a new name say PRJ2) there is a butchered “Ivy Settings Path”

I beleive the correct thing to do is to try to go into the “properties” for each of the three “Ivy” sub folders under the refactored project PRJ2. You will get a “IvyDE Managed Libraries” popup each time. Just select the tab “Settings” and update the project name in the “Ivy Settings Path” something like the following:

change
${workspace_loc:PRJ/ivysettings.xml}
to
${workspace_loc:PRJ2/ivysettings.xml}

and it would be even better to use
${workspace_loc}/${project_name}/ivysettings.xml

But alas my issue is i can’t save the changes because eclipse complains
"
A container already exists for the selected conf of the module descriptor
"

Note, I am using
Vaadin 724