Quick Start with Eclipse


I have Eclipse Ganymede on Ubuntu 8.04 with meta-package kubuntu-desktop installed and currently using KDE.
When the default system web browser is opened in step 1.5.2 of the Quick Start, always konqueror is started, although my default system browser is set to Firefox (confirmed by opening a html file in the file system).
I already tried to alter configuration of Eclipse under:
to: “use external webbrowser” and add and check Firefox.
But with no success. The conf which browser is used by the itmill-package must be at another place - but where?

Greetings compay


This has annoyed me as well for a rather long time. Strangely, I can’t change the file associations in KDE 3.5.10 for some reason, it silently ignores all changes, though I’m not sure if that’s just my problem.

Anyhow, the launcher doesn’t actually start the default browser, but tries different browses in an order (see com.itmill.toolkit.launcher.util.BrowserLauncher in the QuickStart source tree - you can actually just modify it). As the problem could be in the launcher, I filed ticket

Uh, I was blind. On Linux, the launcher first tries to launch “x-www-browser”, which should be a symlink to the default browser, and if that doesn’t work, it tries Firefox, etc. Now, looking at what it links to:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/x-www-browser
/usr/bin/x-www-browser -> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/konqueror

So, we end up in Konqueror, which is bad.

The problem seems to be that you can’t set this default browser setting from KDE, but
only from Gnome.
… Well, you can of course just change the symlink.

Anyhow, the launcher needs a detection mechanism to prevent launching konqueror through the symlink.

Hello Marko,

after you give me the hint, where to look in the code - I checked it and found the solution.
I don’t think, that you should alter your code, it works fine, but I am only newbie to Java.
I think the problem is, that I have the two desktops gnome and kde side by side on my system and I read about known issues concerning this constellation.
But now the solution on my side:
I extract your code and see it works for me when I use the “firefox”-start.
I’ve found the x-www-browser in your code, found it under /usr/bin and this points to /alternative/x-www-browser - as you’ve writen in the meantime in your second posting.
But I manage to alter that with “sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser” from konqueror to firefox.

Thanks and greetings