Misleading Vadin Flow Tutorial

If you really expect people to use your product - which looks great - it is vital to ensure that your tutorials work.

On the Vaadin web site there is a web page:

https://vaadin.com/docs/v10/flow/introduction/tutorial-get-started.html

This offers a tutorial that shoes how to “build a simple customer management system”.

Under the heading “Starting with the Project Base” it says:

1. Start by pointing your browser at Vaadin Start

2. Select the Project Base for V10 by clicking it

Group ID
Give com.vaadin

App Name
Give my-app

1. Click download to, well, download the preconfigured project stub as a ZIP file.

2. The name of the downloaded ZIP package should be my_app.zip. Locate it from your hard drive and extract it to a folder of your preference.

When I do the dowload and import the project to Eclipse and do a Maven build I get a project that is not what is described on the web page.

First, the package used in the downloaded Java class is com.vaadin.starter.skeleton not com.vaadin.

Next, the downloaded zip file is called my-app.zip and not my_app.zip.

Then there is only one class file. It is called MainView.java, which is the same name as given on the web page but its contents are:

@Route
public class MainView extends VerticalLayout {

public MainView() {
        Button button = new Button("Click me",
                event -> Notification.show("Clicked!"));
        add(button);
    }
}

and not what the tutorial says:

@HtmlImport("styles/shared-styles.html")
@Route("")
public class MainView extends VerticalLayout {

public MainView() {
        ExampleTemplate template = new ExampleTemplate();

Button button = new Button("Click me",
                event -> template.setValue("Clicked!"));

add(button, template);
        setClassName("main-layout");
    }
}

Then there is no ExampleTemplate.java class, though the web page gives what you see above which I can easily create. But that class references styles/shared-styles.html and that file is not there.

So I am unable to follow what looks like a useful tutorial.

Thank you for the feedback, the issue was known and has actually already been fixed. The new version of the tutorial is in review right now, I hope we can get it out this week.