Integrating Vaadin Flow into my project

Hi there, I currently have a barebones Spring Intializr project with some functionality I’ve added for the application I’m making. I already have the Vaadin dependency featured within Spring Intializr included in my project via Maven.

I’ve been looking through the Vaadin docs for a guide on how to set up Vaadin in my project, but all I can find are guides to getting started with Vaadin via Vaadin Start or pre-configured projects to download, which I don’t want to do. I want to integrate Vaadin into an already created project and add everything I need, rather than download a new project that includes everything I need. Any links/docs out there I can use to help me with this?

What I’m essentially looking for is any project structure, config, etc. I need to add. What does the Vaadin Start project have that I currently do not besides the main dependency included in the pom.xml?

Why don’t you create a project on https://start.vaadin.com and compare it with your current project. Especially the frontend folder and the pom.xml

Thanks for the suggestion, honestly I didn’t even think to do that haha, I was just after some docs. Cheers! :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think there are many docs for that use case :sweat_smile: new people normally start from start.vaadin.com and veterans know what to do / from where to copy stuff

There is also https://vaadin.com/examples-and-demos but not with a lot of explanation what each files does that are included

Now I’m questioning myself… with the improved dev and prod bundle the need for “advanced” project setups for people that just wanna try it in their app is kinda easy with adding the dependencies, maven-plugin and a route… should this be somewhere documented @quintessential-ibex @secure-leopard :face_with_monocle:

Thanks Knoobie!

I think that page has all you need

24.1, due out next week, will include some nice improvements when it comes to starting from start.spring.io:

• As @quirky-zebra mentioned, no frontend build is needed anymore, so fewer moving parts. Faster and more reliable.
  • Starting an app in development mode without any defined routes (what you get from Initializr) will give you a helpful fallback page with instructions on how to get started.

At least one other thing comes to mind that we could/should simplify for projects started on start.spring.io is setting up a theme folder if you want to customize CSS

Cheers for all the info :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course! Keep asking questions, we’re happy to help