IE11 gives always 0 for getMouseWheelVelocityY()

I’m using Vaadin 6.8.14 on Win 8.1 64Bit.

I have a self made graphical component that has to react on mouse wheel changes. Therefor I have this client code:

@Override
public void onBrowserEvent(Event event)
{
  if (DOM.eventGetType(event) == Event.ONMOUSEWHEEL)
  {
    int veloc = event.getMouseWheelVelocityY();
    if (veloc != 0)
    {
      // doing something depending on velocity....
    }
  }
}

This code works nicely in all browsers except IE 11. With IE 11 I get always 0 for the velocity. When I switch my IE 11 to IE 10 via F12, the mouse wheel funcionality works also.

So my question is: is there anything I can do to get the velocity with IE 11?

Any help is much appreciated

Vaadin 6.8 runs IE10+ in IE9 mode so actually your dev tools should show it is in IE9 mode by default.

When I switch the user agent to IE9 it works as expected, but I think the default that IE is using is IE 11.

If you mean with
dev tools
pressing F12 in IE, I see the attached picture (German). If you mean something else, please be more specific.
13464.png

Vaadin 6.8 does not natively support IE10 or IE11 but should automatically force the browser into IE9 compatibility mode when a Vaadin application is loaded.

If you manually toggle back to IE11 then that won’t work as only IE9 is natively supported.

I found the problem:

I have my own version of AbstractApplicationServlet#writeAjaxPageHtmlHeader and there I just add one line to always include a special Javascript file. The exact problem was the location where I inserted this line. I moved it to the end and voila: IE 11 behaves like IE 9.

Thanks for your support.