HTML editor

Hi,

I have looked to sampler, and i really miss one component…the HTML editor with markup highlighting…does onyone have one that can be shared? or is it planned to do in next vaadin version (for example as an extension of rich techtarea).

Thanks.

Pavel

Hi,

Sorry that this post has gone unnoticed for so long.

Are you referring to the colored source code that you can view for each sample? I think it’s an open source prettifier, a simple Javascript library Marc used when he created the Sampler.

But it has no editing functionalities, and the RichTextArea doesn’t handle any code coloring. Do you know an example that would?

The only color-hilighting code editor I have seen is
Bespin

Sry for not responding for so long, but i thought, that the forum is broken (see my post in about forum thread)…The component I was looking for was intented to be used in some a la wikimedia textarea…I am building web, that uses some sort of wiki/html markup, and I wanted to have the tags highlighted (when you select opening tag, the closing gets highlighted), or more simple just all the markup code gets bold. But it seems, than nothing like it is currently in vaadin.

Thanks.

Pavel

Have you seen such editor component somewhere on the web?

No :-)…but i thought, that someone has been solving this issue before me in vaadin, because i think, that this problem is pretty popular because html-like or wiki-like syntax is almost in all CMS and it shouldnt be hard to write it…maybe i will for the next version of my pages…:slight_smile:

Pavel

Writing a small prototype shouldn’t be too hard, but making a robust cross-browser syntax hilighting editor requires some serious effort.

I’ve written an “as-you-type” spellchecker that marks erraneous words and sentences with different colors, and it sure wasn’t easy. That was two years ago, though, browsers have surely gotten better, and if can ignore IE completely, you can get results as fancy as Bespin.

Just to echo what Jouni already said - writing a robust syntax syntax hi-ligting editor for web is a huge effort. Fortunately, Bespin is licensed under MPL and could be wrapped as a Vaadin component. This would surely be a really interesting component indeed.