How to prevent a Label's width from collapsing to 0

According to the documentation if you have an empty Label (a Label with an empty string) the width will collapse to 0. However the documentation also says: “If you want a gap that has adjustable width or height, you can use an empty label if you specify a height or width for it” The problem is that when I do this the width still collapses to 0. I need the width to keep it’s size because I use a different color for the background.

Hi,

setting the height and width of the Label by methods setHeight()/setWidth() should work regardless of the content of the Label.

Something that could be happening is that if the width/height of the parent component has not been set explicitly (see https://vaadin.com/docs/v8/framework/layout/layout-orderedlayout.html), using relative units (e.g. percentage) does not work, and that’s why the Label is not showing correctly.
E.g. when the Label is added to a VerticalLayout (which doesn’t have a defined height), the height of Label cannot be set as percentage value etc., or when added to HorizontalLayout, the width cannot be a percentage value etc., as they’re evauluated basically to zero.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, could you give an example snippet where it doesn’t work?

BR, Katri