how to handle table row selection change via keyboard?

I have a table that responds to row selection in a table using a ItemClickListener, and that works fine. The table is selectable, so after clicking on it the user can use the keyboard to move the selection to another row, but I can’t figure out how to detect that. I’ve tried adding a ValueChangeListener, that seems to get events on mouse clicks but not key presses. Am I missing something?

Based on searching through the forums, it seems like this should work:

table.addListener(new Property.ValueChangeListener()
        {
            @Override
            public void valueChange(ValueChangeEvent event)
            {
                logger.debug("~~~~~ " + event.getProperty());
            }
        });

I see the log message when I click on a row, but I don’t see it when I use up/down arrow keys to move to a different row.

Yes, it is the “value” of the table that gets changed when the selected row changes. So a ValueChangeListener is the correct place to detect that (just make sure your Table is in immediate mode to get the value change event without any delay by calling setImmediate(true)).

As I say, I believe ValueChangeListener is supposed to work but doesn’t. I have setSelectable(true) and setImmediate(true), when I use arrow up/down keys the selection color moves, but my ValueChangeListener doesn’t get called. I’m using Vaadin 6.8.2.

Hello,

The same problem. Keyboard UP/DOWN listeners.

Still no news?

Sorry, I am stupid.

table.setImmediate(true);

makes the trick.

Thanks, ValueChangeListener works parfaitment for me.

Using vaadin 7; however, facing the same problem. The setImmediate=true is called and the listener is added but nothing is being sent to the handler. Any help?

Hello Imran,

please check this example
http://demo.vaadin.com/book-examples-vaadin7/book/#component.table.selecting.single
You may have an error in your code

Hello,
Thank you very much for the link. Very strange, I have done exactly the same thing; however, it is still not working. :frowning:
Can it be because of vaadin version or something? Is there a way to search vaadin bug database?

Hello Imran,

it’s unlikely because this is a very basic feature. For example I am using vaadin 7.1.x and ValueChange events working like a charm.

Thank you very much, it is working.The problem was not with the table compoenet or anything else. The problem was with that configuration I did.
https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/7517823
. As a result of that, all of my items had the same value. So, the value never changes.