How do you physically join 2 columns in a grid?

The grid appears exactly how I want it with 1 exception. I want to eliminate the space between the first 2 columns. I currently display a person’s photo and their name in 2 different columns because that made the code simple to implement. I know I can combine the 2 into a single object that’s displayed in 1 column, but is there a way to achieve the same thing with styles? I know doing a simple column join isn’t the answer because all that does if create a single header. It doesn’t actually move the columns closer to each other.
18284699.png

Brian Sheely:
I know I can combine the 2 into a single object that’s displayed in 1 column

Yes, that’s how you should do it.

Brian Sheely:
but is there a way to achieve the same thing with styles?

Are you asking this for this one use case, or are you planning to for example let the user join any two neighbor-columns, and execute such a column join generically?
I’m not sure this is possible. Theoretically it could be very well possible. But it’s gonna be really complex CSS. I would choose to implement the column join on the java side, using a ComponentRenderer to return a HorizontalLayout containing the photo and the name of a user.

No, this was just for this one use case. I don’t even what to think about writing code to allow the user to do anything like that.