Extensibility and Third Party support?

I’m evaluating application Web UI frameworks for a new project. Used JSF (Woodstock and Icefaces) frameworks in the past, but spent too much effort with EJB plumbing. Also, JSP made life very difficult for dynamic user interface rendering. Now, JSF 2.0 with facelets is an incredible improvement. However, Richfaces and Icefaces won’t have JSF 2,0 implementations till next year.

So, timing is such to evaluate the field - and Vaadin looks awesome!

My new project is based on a Domain Driven Design (DDD) discipline utilizing JPA and MySQL. It’s tempting to go with a client centric framework (SmartGWT, jQuery, YUL, DHX, etc.) and just expose our services, but as you well know, infrastructure concerns takes over business logic work. We’re a large clinical research organization, need to stay focus on the business!

Ok, created the demo contract tutorial and modified it - all easy stuff. Then wanted to add a calendar component like google and Outlook for a scheduling prototype. Also, wanted to add the Simile timeline JavaScript component as well.

Yikes! - adding this stuff seems so difficult, reading the forum points to workarounds and hacks. Read the book, nothing there, I’m new to GWT, is this because GWT is “closed”? Guess I’m missing something, adding a third-party component should not be this way.

Vaadin is an industrial strength framework, this could be a perfect choice - reminds me of the Borland glory days.

Any ideas this can be done without hacks, that is, using a scheduling component (http://dhtmlx.com/docs//products/dhtmlxScheduler/index.shtml) and intregration with third-party tools like Simile?

Regards,
George

Hi there!

There’s a side project on the way for the moment, called Directory, which will make it easier to get more custom components. It is basically a web page with searches etc. where you can download components. There’s no date set but I guess it will be out Q1 or maybe Q2 of 2010. There is some components already available
here
and
here
but it may be a little hard for now to figure out which ones you want.

There is no scheduler components in Vaadin that I know of. Your easiest bet is to look around to see if some of the components you’d want has been made with GWT. The biggest difference between GWT and Vaadin is that GWT is mostly client side, when Vaadin is server driven. Every Vaadin-component has two parts. A server side and a client side of that component. You have to implement the server side part of the component yourself when you bring a GWT component to Vaadin, but the client side is basically the same as GWT. You only have to implement an interface with one function over there, and the client side is the one that takes care of all the rendering etc. The server side part is an interface between your application and the “real” compoennt.

I’d suggest that you would use Eclipse with the Vaadin plugin and a nightly version of Vaadin 6.2 (final 6.2 is due in three weeks, 12/09/09). There has been major improvements in simplifying the process of building own widgets in both Vaadin and the plugin.

Check
chapter 10 in the book
about how to implement your own components and search the forum to get a lot of good info on this.

Best of luck.

Wrapping Simile should be fairly easy. You can use
CoverFlow
as an
example

We are also preparing a timeline widget for Vaadin. The widget will be available as soon as we will open Vaadin Directory (a repository for add-ons to framework) early in 2010. Timeline widget will be a separate add-on with a (modest) price-tag. If you are interested in this widget earlier, contact
sales

Hi Jens,

“I’d suggest that you would use Eclipse with the Vaadin plugin and a nightly version of Vaadin 6.2 (final 6.2 is due in three weeks, 12/09/09). There has been major improvements in simplifying the process of building own widgets in both Vaadin and the plugin.”

Great, this will be beneficial for the Vaadin community at large!

I’m a happy Netbeans 6.8 beta user, focus on standard JEE development. Using the Netbeans plug-in, hope It’s easy to drop in 6.2.

Want to try a 6.2 plugin, is there some examples somewhere?

Regards,
George

BTW, Vaadin NetBeans plugin is here - http://kenai.com/projects/org-vaadin-support
It just born a short tie ago but I hope it will align with his older brother (Eclipse one) shortly

Hi,

Just a question related to TimeLine licensing, noticed “Vaadin-License-Title: AGPL3” in http://dev.vaadin.com/svn/addons/Timeline/build-directory-package.xml is that correct ?

Happy with AGPL3 if that’s the case :slight_smile:

All the best, Pether

Timeline will be available under both AGPL (for free) and commercial license (for a fee).