Experiment: ChatGPT for Hilla docs

I’m experimenting with how we could make it easier to get help with Hilla development by providing our docs as context for ChatGPT. Here’s an early experiment you can try if you’re interested.

Note:

• It only knows about Hilla with Lit right now
  • This is a work-in-progress, proof-of-concept app so expect bugs and downtime. It will disappear at some point.

You can try it here: https://hilla-docs-gpt.vercel.app/

Let me know what you think, would something like this be useful?

This is awesome! Will you be sharing it on GitHub? I would love to see how you embedded the docs.

Yes. I’m planning on writing a short blog post and sharing the code, just need to clean it up a bit. And to set the expectations, I built this as a proof of concept so it’s nowhere near production grade when it comes to stuff like error handling

I made a small update today, the context now also includes the component documentation.

:thinking: It seems to find some old Polymer syntax from somewhere in a few cases

Cant wait to see it learn about vaadin flow as well

this is very nice! i have recently started with vaadin and loving it!

@nurturing-warthog - just to set the expectations: this is an experiment I’ve done on my own, not in any way official. If we do end up making something like this, we would also make it available for Flow (and Hilla+React etc).

This is very interesting! Looking forward to when React gets included :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s one thing I’m still considering to try with my prototype, adding a tech stack selector.

Done considering, now implemented. Note that there’s quite a lot less React docs available for it to use as context, so it’s not going to be quite as helpful. But go ahead and give it a try :slightly_smiling_face:

An interesting side-benefit of using ChatGPT for the docs: it knows how to answer in almost any language

I outlined the main steps in building this on my blog and linked to the (hairy) source code ChatGPT upgrade: using custom docs for developer support