Embedded Vaadin and Components

I am trying to embed Vaadin into an existing Struts/JSP application. We use Vaadin in another project and I’d like to add a new feature to an old product with Vaddin, but don’t want to rewrite the whole thing. Embedding Vaadin lets me do that.

I am able to embed Vaadin successfully, I can display a Label. But, when I try to insert a component like Upload, CheckBox or TextField, the HTML generated by Vaadin is missing the ‘type=xxx’ attribute.

We are using 7.1.1

Here is what I see as output from the embedded Vaadin:

[font=Courier New]

[/font]

When I put the same code in a full Vaadin application, I see this HTML:
[font=Courier New]

[/font]

The same upload code (taken from the Book example) works fine in a full blown Vaadin application, but not in an embedded Vaadin application.

Any idea if this is a Vaadin bug or do I have something misconfigured? Is the fact that I have embedded Vaadin in a JSP page the problem? It seems odd that some attributes are missing from the input and form tags.

I’m pretty sure I have it configured properly, I see the embedded Vaadin UI loading in the JSP page, and I can see a Label and parts of the other Components. It’s just that the input and form tags are incomplete.

It appears that Struts2 is parsing the Vaadin output and removing the attributes from tags. I’m not sure how to disable parsing of an element in a Struts JSP page. I can disable the parsing for a whole page, but I don’t know how to do it for a portion of a page.

FYI: To keep Struts from parsing a page, add the following line to your struts.xml file with the page name you don’t want parsed:
[font=Courier New]

<constant name="struts.action.excludePattern" value=".*/vaadin.html" />

[/font]

If there are any Struts experts out there that know how to disable parsing on a portion of a page, please respond.