Ecilpse kepler plugin

Hi, I have tried to use vaadin plugin for eclipse in just released kepler version.
All seems to be fine except that when I open or create a composite trying to use the visual editor it opens a black tab.
Is the plugin supposed to be working in kepler or it’s just that I am doing something wrong? or should we wait an update for the plugin ?

Update: I am behind a firewall that blocked the upload, I can tell you that a new tab appears with no name, just the X closing button, and the content is blank, and in the bottom of the tab, where the source/designer tabs are, it only shows the source tab but the content of the tab is blank.
Update 2: I see that the upload did work :wink: it just shows 0KB :slight_smile:

Thanks
13077.png

For me, also the visual designer works in Kepler (experimental version very soon to be released, now on update site http://vaadin.com/eclipse/experimental and need to turn off “Group …” in the install plugins dialog).

This could be a platform specific problem or related to how browsers are configured on your computer. Please provide details about the operating system version and installed browser versions. Also check for any proxy settings in Eclipse and for the OS.

Fresh kepler 64 bit install on jvm 1.7.0_21 on windows 7sp1.
Vaadin plugin installed from the marketplace.
I do have weird proxy settings at work (image attached), but it works with juno.
Web browser in ecilpse I have configured to use system default external browser (which is google chrome).
Browsers installed: Chrome 28, IE 10, Firefox 20

Update: I uninstalled the vaadin plugin from kepler and tried to install the experimental one. First I just installed the “Vaadin Plugin for Eclipse” (not the other one), it installed fine, but oppening the visual editor shows the same problem as the mainstream plugin. Then I tried to install the other one “Vaadin Visual Desinger for Eclipse” but I got this error:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=epp.package.jee, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: org.eclipse.update.feature,com.vaadin.wysiwyg.eclipse,2.2.0.201306261112

13080.png

The Eclipse plug-in 2.2.0 is now on the main update site. You should not install the “Vaadin Visual Desinger for Eclipse” plug-in from the experimental site, it should not even be there anymore. It’s only there because of some faulty build script.

I saw the same problem, the error log contains

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.eclipse.swt.internal.mozilla.init.GREVersionRange
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.InitDiscoverXULRunner(Mozilla.java:1759)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.LoadLibraries(Mozilla.java:617)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Mozilla.create(Mozilla.java:682)
at org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser.(Browser.java:99)

which seem to indicate some problem with the internal browser. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-14749 reports the same for another project and indicates this is a problem with 64 bit only.

Edit: Created http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/12141

Hi,

I do not see the relationship between the internal browser and the visual editor. Can you clarify?
I just downloaded Eclipse 64 bit for EE development, installed the Vaadin and have same problem (date is 23.09.2013) - no/blanck visual editor, tab for source and not tab for design, no name of the editor tab, just the closing X.

Exactly s original problem reported.
Any solution or workaround? Downgrade Eclipse or Vaadin? To which version and how (for Vaadin)

Thanks,

Any info on when this will be fixed?

Same problem

[/quote]

I saw that jboss has resolved their issue. Any inside of when it will be solved in the vaadin plugin too ?
Also, will it also affect the 64bit versions of windows8?

http://vivagwt.blogspot.mx/2013/08/eclipse-kepler-and-vaadin-7-visual.html

I’ve tested on Windows 7 x64 and JDK 1.6u45 x64 and it works!

Magnific Jesus, thanks!,

You actually don’t need to download the latest runner, just point to any directory and somehow it works!

I have put this in my eclipse.ini
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:\

Ant it works :smiley: Easy workaround for now.

I use Eclipse Keppler, jdk 1.7.0, Tomcat 7.0 and I’m still getting the warning when I start Eclipse.
Once started, the visual designer doesn’t work. It only shows me some strange red wheel rotating…
I’ve tried to change the eclipse.ini file, but this is not the sollution.
What should I try next? I’ve already spent some hours on this and I’m a bit dissapointed.

Did u find a solution? Got the same problem here…

Just did a fresh install of everything needed to develop applications with Vaadin (Eclipse Kepler, Vaadin plugin, Ivy, Tomcat etc). Had same problem as stated in this Thread. Used workaround as mentioned by David:

It worked for me! Got a message when starting up eclipse telling something about not finding XULRunner. Ignored it and designer view worked…

Greetz,
M.

Same problem here.

Win8 64bit Eclipse Kepler

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:
in eclipse.ini solved the problem

Same problem here

Win 7 Sp1
Eclipse Kepler Service Release 2
newest Vaadin plugin… = no visual editor

Adding
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:\

kind of works, but not really… the plugin only shows visual components when the default eclipse theme is used (else it is black with nothing visible… they are there, but invisible!)… also undoing (CTRL+Z) for instance, does not work, and the editor crashes.

this is bad design and purely tested software…sorry but it is… using the newest Eclipse should per default work when supplying a plugin or at least a workaround should be available… or a comment on which specific eclipse version to use… now i have to test with different Eclipse versions to find the problem… waste of time, which should be exactly what vaadin should prevent!..not good enough!

Just confirming that I had exactly the same issue in Windown 8.1 with 64bit with Eclipse Kepler.
Solved it as per my blog post:

http://www.joe0.com/2014/03/30/solved-unable-to-access-vaadin-visual-editor-in-windows-8-1-eclipse-kepler-64bit/